Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 4:27 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Solar Energy? What's Your "Sun Number"? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://www.sunnumber.com/

They have me at 65. Says I can generate around $600 in power/year.

A recent article on one of the big Fake.... er.. mainstream news services says that solar installers/sales people here have been handing out the number of $.54/ KW Hr of savings; but that the utilities have cut that credit by 35% recently. So I don't know how much to trust the $610/year savings they are estimating.

What's your number?

If you have a system, what's your number and what did you spend installing it?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mine is 82. I was looking at solar systems randomly this morning while shopping for smoke detectors. I’m also curious about solar.

Which is the better: a good friend, a good heart, a good eye, a good neighbor, a good wife, or the understanding of consequences? It is none of these. A warm and senitive soul which knows the worth of fellowship and the price of the individual dignity, this is best.

Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

75...I win!
Seriously solar is viable in the NW. just not as efficient as places like AZ. Also solar panels work better at lower ambient temperatures. So we have less sun, but lower temps.

When I get to OK I will be converting my 5X8 enclosed trailer into a sort of mini camper, and getting this set up to power it:
https://www.renogy.com/renogy-100-watt-portable-rv-kit/

I was going to get a Harbor Freight kit for $150, but after some research this system seems to be a lot better. When it comes to solar there is a lot to learn. Types of panels, types of controllers (very important), and types of batteries. When I do my trailer conversion I will do a youtube video, and post it here.

Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I attended a seminar on solar energy at the last WSSHE conference. The speaker was claiming that even in WA you can get as low as a 7 year payback (even with our few sunny days and very cheap electricity).

Not sure if I believe it, wouldn't every damn house in CA, AZ, NM and TX have solar if that was the case? AZ gets 3 times the sunny days we have and they pay 2-3 times the KWH rate we pay.

When I eventually relocate to AZ, solar power is definitely in the plans

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:53 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TINCANBANDIT wrote:
I attended a seminar on solar energy at the last WSSHE conference. The speaker was claiming that even in WA you can get as low as a 7 year payback (even with our few sunny days and very cheap electricity).

Not sure if I believe it, wouldn't every damn house in CA, AZ, NM and TX have solar if that was the case? AZ gets 3 times the sunny days we have and they pay 2-3 times the KWH rate we pay.

When I eventually relocate to AZ, solar power is definitely in the plans

It's because solar is just now getting efficient/affordable. Panels just a few years ago were garbage compared to what is available now. Even now we have a lot more engineering wise to become truly a way to go. Just like computer technology, as soon as you buy a solar system it will be outdated by the time you mount it on your roof,

Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
75...I win!
Seriously solar is viable in the NW. just not as efficient as places like AZ. Also solar panels work better at lower ambient temperatures. So we have less sun, but lower temps.

When I get to OK I will be converting my 5X8 enclosed trailer into a sort of mini camper, and getting this set up to power it:
https://www.renogy.com/renogy-100-watt-portable-rv-kit/

I was going to get a Harbor Freight kit for $150, but after some research this system seems to be a lot better. When it comes to solar there is a lot to learn. Types of panels, types of controllers (very important), and types of batteries. When I do my trailer conversion I will do a youtube video, and post it here.

You want GC2s, or Trojan AGMs (which are basically GC2s).....

The GC2 is 6V, ~220AH, so you put them in series to get 12V.

As far as panels, Renogy is good, but there are other alternatives. You don't have to get a kit from them, you can very easily piece together a system.... Most of the package deals are more expensive due to convenience...

PAY EXTRA TO GET THE MPPT CONTROLLER!

While it's a lot more expensive, depending on the solar panel you get, you can nearly double your power. This comes in handy when running 24V or 36V panels especially...

A traditional PWM charge controller will only control voltage, so if your 18V 100W panel puts out say, 5.5A, it will reduce the 18V to 14V to charge your battery.... which is a reduction from 100W down to 77 watts... You're losing almost a 1/4 of your power...

An MPPT charge controller will be able to take that 18V 100W input, and put out 14V @ 7A instead of just 5.5A

Too bad you're not doing it before you leave, I'd be able to do it all for you ;)

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Too bad you're not doing it before you leave, I'd be able to do it all for you ;)"
You would do it all for me? :bigsmile:

I would do the MPPT, but it's one 12v battery. The usage will be so minimal, couple of led lights, etc.

What is a GC2?

Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:47 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lots of big trees

Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:21 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

71. Of course that's not quite right, as there are variables.

Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

53. Lots of trees

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

90 at my duplex in SeaTac. If I lived tbere I would put up some panels without hesitation.

Divided we fall.

Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OhShoot! wrote:
90 at my duplex in SeaTac. If I lived tbere I would put up some panels without hesitation.

What?! The Commie-slumlord won't put in solar "for the people"!??! :bigsmile:

You are about schizophrenic. How do you reconcile your leftist leanings with your capitalistic housing baron personna?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:25 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
OhShoot! wrote:

What?! The Commie-slumlord won't put in solar "for the people"!??! :bigsmile:

You are about schizophrenic. How do you reconcile your leftist leanings with your capitalistic housing baron personna?

It's easy with multiple personalities :bigsmile:

Divided we fall.

Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:

What is a GC2?

:shocked4:

Quote:
The GC2 is 6V, ~220AH, so you put them in series to get 12V.

The GC2 is designed for deep discharge... Group 27 'hybrid' batteries are shit.... Anything with cranking amps isn't designed for deep cycle use, and even most 'deep cycle' batteries aren't true deep cycle...

Most 12V 'deep cycle' batteries are ~100AH for ~$100... A GC2 is ~$100, but you'll need 2, so ~$200, but you'll get superior batteries and ~220AH instead of ~200AH, and the ability to be discharged much further...

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next