Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 8:15 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Solar Energy? What's Your "Sun Number"? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for the clarification. Sam's Club has them in Lawton for $93. Duracell brand that I trust.
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/duracell- ... 3590228.ip

Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:

What is a GC2?

:shocked4:

Quote:
The GC2 is 6V, ~220AH, so you put them in series to get 12V.

The GC2 is designed for deep discharge... Group 27 'hybrid' batteries are shit.... Anything with cranking amps isn't designed for deep cycle use, and even most 'deep cycle' batteries aren't true deep cycle...

Most 12V 'deep cycle' batteries are ~100AH for ~$100... A GC2 is ~$100, but you'll need 2, so ~$200, but you'll get superior batteries and ~220AH instead of ~200AH, and the ability to be discharged much further...

GC stands for Golf Cart. These are all 6volt Golf Cart batteries. I've been living off the grid for about 9 years and just replaced my battery bank with 16x Deka GC15 batteries to make 2x 48volt batteries by going in series and parallel both. My system is a 48v system. I did my research and bought 16 of these for about $2500 with tax. https://www.pascobattery.com/batteries- ... inat75amps I got 9 years out of the batteries, but hey should have been changed sooner. When comparing batteries keep in mind some over rate their amp hours. Make sure the weights are the same. The heavier a CG battery, the more AH capacity it has. More or less.

Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

badclam wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:

What is a GC2?

Quote:

The GC2 is designed for deep discharge... Group 27 'hybrid' batteries are shit.... Anything with cranking amps isn't designed for deep cycle use, and even most 'deep cycle' batteries aren't true deep cycle...

Most 12V 'deep cycle' batteries are ~100AH for ~$100... A GC2 is ~$100, but you'll need 2, so ~$200, but you'll get superior batteries and ~220AH instead of ~200AH, and the ability to be discharged much further...

GC stands for Golf Cart. These are all 6volt Golf Cart batteries. I've been living off the grid for about 9 years and just replaced my battery bank with 16x Deka GC15 batteries to make 2x 48volt batteries by going in series and parallel both. My system is a 48v system. I did my research and bought 16 of these for about $2500 with tax. https://www.pascobattery.com/batteries- ... inat75amps I got 9 years out of the batteries, but hey should have been changed sooner. When comparing batteries keep in mind some over rate their amp hours. Make sure the weights are the same. The heavier a CG battery, the more AH capacity it has. More or less.

I need to get batteries locally, that darned core charge. Eventually when I really retire I want to be on/off grid. I want to be hooked up, but have a system that will actually feed back to the power company so that they "pay" me for the excess. I also want to have the property accessible enough that verizon will pay me to have a cell tower installed.

Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
badclam wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:

What is a GC2?

Quote:

I need to get batteries locally, that darned core charge. Eventually when I really retire I want to be on/off grid. I want to be hooked up, but have a system that will actually feed back to the power company so that they "pay" me for the excess. I also want to have the property accessible enough that verizon will pay me to have a cell tower installed.

Yes, my core charge was $27 a piece, which is standard now for these batteries. Any good battery source will have good CG 6 volt batteries available. Do your own research, because they will always try to sell their house brand.
Being off the grid for 9 years I've not found any other battery that gives you more AH storage and life for less money. As far as being on the grid, and generating "buy back" power, there are a couple things to consider. Some utility providers only by back up to what you owe them, like ours. Hardly worth doing.... As efficient as solar cell have become, their output capability is almost 20% better than it was 4 years ago, We still live in a shitty place to use solar cells, so your home has to be built to be off grid to really make it viable. Anything that makes heat with electricity is out. Water heaters, dryers, range, heat, all have to be propane or you're wasting your time here. We live on a beautiful piece of property, a paradise by most standards, but are thinking about selling out because the wife is sick of being off the grid. You can't leave rock tumblers or brass polishers plugged in. You have to have a small fridge or gas fridge. Power tools, microwaves, hair dryers, vacuums, will all drain the largest battery bank in short order causing the generator to to step in. That's were being grid tied makes it work better, but that's not an option for us. There is no grid to our property.
Also with the current trade sanctions, finding solar cells that are both efficient and cheap is out right now.

I'm not saying nobody should look into solar or off grid, but it's far far more involved and expensive than most realize. Putting in a $20,000 solar array will take you 10 plus years to pay for if rates and tax breaks stay as good as they are now, and only if your power provider buys your excess, and continues to do so going into the future. That might be a good bet in Snoflake political area's, but not so much in rural area's. Like I said our power provider will only buy up to what your bill is here.

Where solar really shines, :bigsmile: is if you buy a dream piece of property east of the Cascades, or South of here, in a remote location and build to be off the grid. If a house is designed to be low energy consumption to start with, like ours is, it's doable, and makes that remote dream cabin do-able, but if I lived in Seattle it doesn't make any sense to me being you already have cheap hydroelectric power available, and are in the second to the worse solar efficiency area in the PNW, to even mess with it.

Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the info BC. Right now I will be just rigging up my
"camper". So I will be going with two 6V GC batteries, the Renogy 100 watt system, and a 1000 watt pure sine inverter.

Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chuck is talking about a DIY camper from an enclosed trailer, lol.

As far as the refrig is concerned, have you hear of the aussie fridge?

You take a chest freezer and replace the thermostat, so the cut in temp is ~38*.... HUGE energy savings..Better insulation and cold stays in the 'box' when you open vs it spilling out. Some people have dialed in the perfect temp where, if there's a shelf, stuff above the shelf is cold, but not frozen, and stuff below the shelf is frozen...

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last edited by CQBgopher on Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

L_O_G wrote:

Weird, mine was 84 originally now its 90.

Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

L_O_G wrote:
L_O_G wrote:

Weird, mine was 84 originally now its 90.

Global warming, duh.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

93 in OK.

Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

65 mehh

Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:31 pm

75, said it would save me up to $300 a year. Meh power is so cheap in Grant Co it's hardly worth it. Maybe when I retire and hopefully go off grid I will look into it again but in the mean time...

Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Went to Sam's today. I thought the 6V batteries would be smaller than the 12v batteries, wrong! Those things are huge, that must explain the capacity.

Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
Went to Sam's today. I thought the 6V batteries would be smaller than the 12v batteries, wrong! Those things are huge, that must explain the capacity.

lol.

6v @ 220Ah in series gets you 12V @ 220Ah

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

foxxxnick wrote:
I'm putting together an electrical system for an RV. Do I stick with 12 volt batteries or would 24 volt batteries be more beneficial in the long run?

What voltage is host vehicle?

Are you planning on high loads such as A/C or W/D?

Thomas Paine wrote:

Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next