Do-It-Yourselfers, let's talk about home, auto and other non-gun related projects!
Post a reply

Quality soldering gun?

Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:18 pm

Who makes a decent soldering gun for automotive wiring? My old Weller gun finally died. I hear the new Wellers are made in Mexico junk. Anybody have a recommendations? Or do I go with the solder seal butt connectors you hit with a heat gun?

Re: Quality soldering gun?

Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:10 pm

Garage sales. Find an old one

Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:26 am

Anything that can be done on the bench I use a Hakko FX888D soldering station. For detailed work on the vehicles I'll drag it outside to use but it's not as convenient as a regular soldering iron

The rest I do with a 25W Weller, probably made in Mexico. It does an ok job but isn't as controllable as the Hakko

ETA- Be careful shopping for a Hakko. There are counterfeits

Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:28 am

I purchased a Weller butane soldering iron for working on vehicles. Almost two decades later, it's now my go-to soldering iron.

Check out the Weller WPA2 Butane Soldering Iron made in Japan. It's also great for heat shrink.

Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:23 pm

I just bought another Weller from Amazon. The problem is the lead free solder for most electrical work because of the Karens so it takes more Heat.

I bought the the D550PK My old Weller 100 watt heated up fine just not hot enough for the new solder.
Post a reply