Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 3:09 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Massive confusion on a scooter Oil change???? 

I have a BMW 650 GT scooter. It's not a Moped!

Anyway the last oil change was done by the dealer, I did not ask for one they just did it at 3000 miles. BMW says they can go 6000 miles and no one believes BMW so that is why the dealer did it. I already had bought a filter and 4 Qts of oil so have it on hand now that it's reached 6000 service miles. So I had to learn on the fly. I have had a honda Silverwing Scooter and a Chinese hunk of junk I have done oil changes on so thought how hard can it be. Lots of plastic molding to remove. Far too much to remove for a routine oil change. I am told what I removed was nesessary tho I swear now that I know where everything is I can do it without all that extra work.

There are two drain holes one on the very bottom of the engine and one on the side, the side one is so in case you need to bleed some out if you over fill it. Had a screen mesh unit in there you clean out too. I removed both drain plugs. Let it drain and drip while I figured out the filter. ON super tight so had to go buy a new tool. Solved the issue. Left that off for a few hours too. In the morning I again removed the bottom plug and a little more came out. With the plugs removed and the amount ot time it sat dripping shoudl be empty.

So after removing the bottom plug again next morning it was time to re fill. I got a funnel and opend a single Qt of Oil and poored it in, little by little. Then let it sit for abotu 30 minutes and pulled the funnel out. TO my suprise oil over ran the fill hole! Not much but a little. See photo. Then it was too high on the dip stick. With some advice of another owner I started it and ran it for ten seconds. Then stopped and a few minutes later I do it again. It helped some, it brought the level down to Max Oil level.

So my confusion is, with a scooter that is supposed to take 3.1 Qts. Why is it full with one Qt? Also note when I drained it, it sure did not look to be 3 Qts to me. It looked more like 1 1/2 Qts.

I am confident that all the oil drained out and yet the only thing I can think of is that not all the oil came out. Here is one video I followed, Same bike just mine has more molding on it and this bike is a sport version. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-rFG8ICUic

Can anyone shed light on this? There must be something I do not know?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A quick search reveals the answer you seek. There are two drain plugs

https://www.webbikeworld.com/bmw-scoote ... er-change/

Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:40 pm

I know and I used both drain holes.

Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you read the service manual for this bike? And if so, what does it say about draining the oil? It's a pretty certain guarantee the answer you seek is in there, and that's the place to start. Oil changes on a lot of bike engines are weird enough that it's not as straightforward as most cars, especially with dry sump or semi dry sump engines. If it's a dry sump it may have a separate oil tank, and there may be a specific fill procedure as well. Gotta read the manual.

Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:22 am

The Manuel offers NO advice on oil change but to take it to the dealer.

Here is what I need to know. Why did less then 3.1 Qts come out of the bike and how can it only hold 1Qt? DOes that mean the Oil did not all come out? Is that possible with the drain plugs being open for hours at a time?

MIke

Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your best bet is to call the dealer and talk to a tech.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's a PDF Link to the instructions for an Oil change here.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/bmw-scoote ... 1%20liters.

Well shoot. The link to that PDF service instructions is gone, I didn't check it before posting.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From the site linked above:

Note that the front engine oil drain plug only drains about 1.5 liters of oil. The rest of the oil is in the reservoir on the left, under the reservoir, shown in the photo below. I’m not sure how the oil gets from one low point to another; let’s just hope the oil pump doesn’t fail!

The 17 mm drain plug cap under the reservoir feels like aluminum, so be extra careful with this one. It does not have a gasket or crush washer. I folded the side stand down and placed a piece of aluminum foil under the drain plug to keep the oil off of the parts and direct it into the drain pan.

Sounds to me like you are not draining that 17mm plug...

Here is the site:

https://www.webbikeworld.com/bmw-scoote ... er-change/

Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don’t know how different the GS is from the GT, but here’s a video, and the comments section talk about some issues & tricks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR9JbiBxSfc

Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:popcorn:

Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

laneends wrote:
:popcorn:

yEP just like how many to change a light bulb

Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:30 pm

That site someone posted is confusing. It shows two drain plugs. As mentioned in the OP I used both those drain plugs. I even tilted the bike to the side to get extra out. As someone said BMW does not cover this for the owner in the owners manuel.

I had to go visit the dealer in person as I lost a bracket that you use to screw the palstic molding back in place. The Dealer's mech told me, that there are THREE Drain plugs! THREE!!!!!!!

That since it's reading full I can start it. I'll let you all know if it seizes up.

SO I am loath to take that crap off again to drain that oil and re fill. I will run the bike, suck out a QT and add a fresh QT, then run the bike Etc Etc till i used up all my oil. It won't be totally clean pil but it's gonna be cleaner and it's gonna have to do till next time.

Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did you check out the video?

Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:22 pm

The video did not mention any 3rd drain hole.

Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dude...Cut your losses and the potentially bigger one and take it to the Dealer. Sometimes trying to save a few bucks costs more.

When you bought a BMW scooter, you didn't go cheap. Why are you doing that now? :popcorn:

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next