Do-It-Yourselfers, let's talk about home, auto and other non-gun related projects!
Post a reply

Source for inexpensive metal framing studs?

Sat May 04, 2024 7:51 pm

I recall metal studs being about the same price if not maybe a hair more expensive, but very comparable. However, the only source I can find for metal studs that doesn't require a $10k order seems to be the national home improvement chains which want 3-4x more than a wood stud.

I understand wood is much easier to work with but the strength, weight savings, and resistance to moisture are key factors in building out the WeenieWagun.

So, does anyone know where I could find a less expensive source? I've even looked at FB marketplace, CL, offer up, etc and most seem to be like 1 or 2 leftovers and not any qty.

I'm basically framing a 16x8x8 room.

Re: Source for inexpensive metal framing studs?

Sun May 05, 2024 7:11 am

Every construction project I have ever completed the drywallers throw out tons when we make them get all their $hit out of the parking garage. Any mixed use/ multi family projects wrapping up in your area?

Sun May 05, 2024 8:09 am

Have you tried GTS interior supply?

Sun May 05, 2024 9:13 am

GTS is where you want to go.

And 16x8x8, you’ll need 128’ of track (or 64 of track and 64 of comp channel), and 24 8’ studs. I’d suggest rounding it to 30 studs of you are going to have a doorway and need to double up and make a header.

Sun May 05, 2024 9:19 am

Massivedesign wrote:GTS is where you want to go.

And 16x8x8, you’ll need 128’ of track (or 64 of track and 64 of comp channel), and 24 8’ studs. I’d suggest rounding it to 30 studs of you are going to have a doorway and need to double up and make a header.

Maybe I’m off base, but 2’ centers is 28 studs just to frame it and then 4 more (32) for backing in the corners for paneling and that’s with no doors/window framing figured.

Sun May 05, 2024 9:39 am

2 doors, 1 front and 1 back. Rear will be steel reinforced door so frame will probably be tubular steel welded in place in lieu of metal studs. Front will probably be a half height pocket door.

sides and roof are already framed with 1" steel on 16"... basically gonna be insulating that space and creating a frame within a frame... I'll lose about 6" interior space but the added rigidity and insulation would be worth it, imo.

Roof reinforcements are going in and floor is currently ~3"-4" of a marine grade wood that's gonna get yanked out and replaced with 14ga steel plate... along with floor reinforcement....then built back up with insulation and tubular steel supports underneath.

I may or may not go with diamond plate flooring and a hydronic heated floor.... haven't decided yet...

Screenshot_20240505_103515_Gallery.jpg

No windows.... airflow other than mini split will be through offset inter/exterior vents with a loose foam fill material to deaden sound and eliminate light leakage, with shutoff valves on the vents.

Idea is that in the event of something like wildfires, I can use a filtration system for incoming air and shut off the vents so I don't have to deal with it. Nothing NBC about it, just removing irritants/smells... and for daily use the sound and light absorption means it won't scream 'someone is in there' at night with inside lights on, or watching a show.

I was gonna start with a connex but they're too long and if I cut one down and rewelded it it'd be too much money. Haven't been able to find a reefer body in my price range either.... so...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun May 05, 2024 9:49 am

cbass wrote:Have you tried GTS interior supply?

I have not. I will call them on Monday.

Sun May 05, 2024 10:59 am

bunch in Lacey on marketplace right now. ive seen other as well

Mon May 06, 2024 3:22 pm

Old Growth wrote:

Maybe I’m off base, but 2’ centers is 28 studs just to frame it and then 4 more (32) for backing in the corners for paneling and that’s with no doors/window framing figured.

For a freestand build you are correct. I was making the assumption that he was furring and the corners didn't need to be conventionally framed.
Post a reply