Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 LED lighting - importance of aiming your headlights 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've read about these years ago.
What's the hold up?
Oh, I know... some politicians won't let it go through until they can find a way to cash in (privately) on the deal???

Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:59 am

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Ya'll know I'm a light snob..

I swapped out my Termitor bulbs, which are some of the brightest on the market, for the next step up, which are DiamondVision F9.

Keep in mind, these are NOT projector lenses, but reflector lenses, which are very picky about their light source.

I took before and after pics. Look where the beam is.

These are very similar LED retrofits, but despite them being almost identical, both the high beam and low beam are insanely high now, and have to be adjusted. Imagine that ball of fire headed towards you at night.

This is why you need to aim your effing headlights after every lamp replacement.

I took pics with fixed settings, on both high and low beam, and from driver seat and from standing position just outside the car, at the roofline.

I channeled Michael J. Fox in a couple of them. Sorry.

You can see, very clearly, that the F9 is much brighter, and, obviously need to be aimed a bit lower, since the highbeams are at the top of the trees. Overall, HUGE improvement.

Where did you get the F9's? I could use some major upgraded light power in my forester before I go across the mountains.

Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Schoolboy wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

I swapped out my Termitor bulbs, which are some of the brightest on the market, for the next step up, which are DiamondVision F9.

Keep in mind, these are NOT projector lenses, but reflector lenses, which are very picky about their light source.

These are very similar LED retrofits, but despite them being almost identical, both the high beam and low beam are insanely high now, and have to be adjusted. Imagine that ball of fire headed towards you at night.

This is why you need to aim your effing headlights after every lamp replacement.

I took pics with fixed settings, on both high and low beam, and from driver seat and from standing position just outside the car, at the roofline.

You can see, very clearly, that the F9 is much brighter, and, obviously need to be aimed a bit lower, since the highbeams are at the top of the trees. Overall, HUGE improvement.

Where did you get the F9's? I could use some major upgraded light power in my forester before I go across the mountains.

I also did a search and couldn't find them.

Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Found them!
Watch the video for really good info:

Buy them here: https://diamondvisionled.myshopify.com/?sca_ref=4966324.oMoKyn19FM
(sold out)

Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:09 am

Sold out, well that figures... I did send him a message asking when he might get some H4's in.

Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Schoolboy wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

These are custom built in small quantities, so he has to order them. Yes, they're made in China, but they're his design, his thermals, his chips/circuitry, etc.

Best bet is through Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/DiamondVisionLED

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:22 pm

These are back in stock, and I ordered a set of the H4's for the forester.

https://diamondvisionled.myshopify.com/products/diamond-vision-f9-led-headlights-and-fog-lights?variant=40325221089366

Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:46 am

Got my set today, and as of right now I say Do NOT buy these. They are horribly loose and flop all over the place. (I have deleted the Video).

Last edited by Schoolboy on Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Schoolboy wrote:
Got my set today, and as of right now I say Do NOT buy these. They are horribly loose and flop all over the place. Video is attached.

https://youtube.com/shorts/SksfGk4Ckx4?si=Yf0qn4y95M5pnKNX

Make sure the adjustment screws are tight, and are seated properly.

You can message him directly on FB. He stands behind what he sells.

I know this is a dumb question, but..... the locking/retaining clips are attached, right? So it's the shaft in the adapter that's moving?

I'd be pretty unhappy too....don't blame you one bit... I'm hoping it's a simple fix of something that's overlooked.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:06 pm

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Schoolboy wrote:
Got my set today, and as of right now I say Do NOT buy these. They are horribly loose and flop all over the place. Video is attached.

I know this is a dumb question, but..... the locking/retaining clips are attached, right? So it's the shaft in the adapter that's moving?

I'd be pretty unhappy too....don't blame you one bit... I'm hoping it's a simple fix of something that's overlooked.

Yes I've been in constant contact with him not just today but all week as he went above and beyond to get these to me by today so I could get them installed in time for my trip to Spokane. This issue definitely has his attention.

Yes the adapter rings were snug and secured to the back of the headlamp assembly with the wire snap ring thing. So it's definitely the bulb shaft too adaptor ring fit that's loose.

The screws on the bulb are tight, but I think they are to small as is the o-ring. The screw chewed up the notches on the base because it was only engaging half the available area. Second video of the slop is below. Keep in mind this is finger loose on the 1st one.

(I have deleted this video)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Schoolboy on Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Schoolboy wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
Schoolboy wrote:

Yes I've been in constant contact with him not just today but all week as he went above and beyond to get these to me by today so I could get them installed in time for my trip to Spokane. This issue definitely has his attention.

Yes the adapter rings were snug and secured to the back of the headlamp assembly with the wire snap ring thing. So it's definitely the bulb shaft too adaptor ring fit that's loose.

The screws on the bulb are tight, but I think they are to small as is the o-ring. The screw chewed up the notches on the base because it was only engaging half the available area. Second video of the slop is below. Keep in mind this is finger loose on the 1st one.

https://youtu.be/OjiUz2Qq7S8?si=lTWVXRtuk-Zhj8RD

Definitely seems to be a tolerance issue. That shit is WAY off... not even close.

Hopefully it gets resolved positively. I think you'll really love these once they're in and aimed properly.

All reflector assemblies are different, and some just don't work for shit regardless of what bulb you use.... and I hope that's not the case with you. There's definitely some glare on the output on the first video - so hopefully when you get the replacement and they're installed correctly, it'll fix it. Those will cause a ton of glare and is pretty common with bulbs that aren't aligned in the housing properly.

Attachment:
2024-04-19_234223.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:39 pm

Ya trying to adjust the alignment is what did the bulbs in. That screen shot you posted was the best pattern I could get. This is what I started with...

Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Schoolboy wrote:
Ya trying to adjust the alignment is what did the bulbs in. That screen shot you posted was the best pattern I could get. This is what I started with...

Yeah, that's not optimal.

It's serviceable, but with as bright as those lights are, those thin slivers of light will distract the shit out of just about every driver who crosses the path of them.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:42 am

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Schoolboy wrote:

It's serviceable, but with as bright as those lights are, those thin slivers of light will distract the shit out of just about every driver who crosses the path of them.

See that's why I was messing with the adjustment on them. The pattern you posted with the screen shot is actually better than the factory bulbs which I will try to get a photo of tonight.

Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Schoolboy wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
Schoolboy wrote:

See that's why I was messing with the adjustment on them. The pattern you posted with the screen shot is actually better than the factory bulbs which I will try to get a photo of tonight.

Hence my 'some reflector housings are just shit no matter what' statement. :bigsmile:

Thomas Paine wrote:

Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next