Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:51 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Lynnwood Area Fishing 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've primarily fished around the 3 Lakes area, however now that I live in Lynnwood I'd like to check out some local spots to see if there is anything worthwhile.

Particularly I'm curious about these lakes as they're close to my house.

1. Martha Lake
2. Stickney Lake
3. Lake Serene

I like to fish for trout, bass and perch.

Anyone fish any of these? From the dock or from a boat? Thinking about buying one of those single person pontoons.

Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I lived on Stickney for many years, and there is some decent fish in there. If you are looking to eat them, well, I don't suggest it. The freshly stocked trout for the spring opener may be good, but as the water warms up in summer the fish loose color and get all mushy. I have caught some decent trout there but also more than a few parasites on them. Not sure what they are from, but they are worm like creatures inbedded in the body. My biggest bass was a 4 pounder. The public access area was a mess of garbage, glass and old fishing gear.

Martha has had some good size trout (probably triploid plants) taken from there but also has a problem with vehicle security at their launch. Seems to be a normal thing anymore as the thieves know you are likely out on the water.

It has been a few years since I was even near those lakes though. But I am fond of Stickney. Let me know if you are going there and I can give you some areas to hit.... With a boat that is.

ETA: Stickney has trout, largemouth bass, yellow perch, bluegill, crappie, brown bullhead and if you are real lucky, Kokanee. I caught one, once, about 20".

Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

tannardog wrote:
I have caught some decent trout there but also more than a few parasites on them. Not sure what they are from, but they are worm like creatures inbedded in the body.

Uhhh. This is a problem for me. Did you notice the parasites when gutting them?

Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RusoArmo wrote:
tannardog wrote:
I have caught some decent trout there but also more than a few parasites on them. Not sure what they are from, but they are worm like creatures inbedded in the body.

That's unfortunate as most fish have parasites, some you just don't see.

Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:16 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

os2firefox wrote:
RusoArmo wrote:
tannardog wrote:

I assume these aren't harmful to humans? I've never caught a fish where I saw parasites. I would toss it if I did.

Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have not seen them inside, but I usually catch and release. I should preface this to say I only observed the parasites during summer fishing, when the water was warmer. I have NEVER seen the same in river fish. Cold water trout I have caught look way different and healthier. None of the fish I caught out of Spada lake had the issues as low land summer caught lake fish. Local to me is Lake Tye in Monroe, man made lake. I have fished the lake when the water got warm but released the fish, but did not observe the parasites. Most, if not all the trout in Lk Tye are plants as I don't think that lake can sustain a healthy reproductive cycle.... but I am no biologist.

Basically, when I start fishing again more frequently........ I will hit Stickney again. If its summer and the water is warm, catch and release. If its fall or early spring with cold water... I'll keep the trout if there is no wormy things sticking out.

Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The people living around Lake Serene are now able to fish from their windows. The drain for the lake has plugged up and record rains have caused the lake to turn yards into lake.

Urban lakes don't do anything for me when it comes to fishing when houses are built right to the lake. Who knows what is flowing into the lake.

FWIW, Silver Lake is not bad. I took my grandson there to fish regularly and there is a fishing dock on the East Side next to Bothell Everett Highway (HWY 529).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deadshot2 wrote:
The people living around Lake Serene are now able to fish from their windows. The drain for the lake has plugged up and record rains have caused the lake to turn yards into lake.

Urban lakes don't do anything for me when it comes to fishing when houses are built right to the lake. Who knows what is flowing into the lake.

FWIW, Silver Lake is not bad. I took my grandson there to fish regularly and there is a fishing dock on the East Side next to Bothell Everett Highway (HWY 529).

Hmm. My in-laws live in a house that's right across Bothell-Everett Highway from Silver Lake. I'll have to check that out as well.

Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:42 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

My kids used to take a rubber boat around Lake Serene (not far from our house).
Motors prohibited, and they put no parking signs all over by the boat launch area.

Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:37 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guntrader wrote:
My kids used to take a rubber boat around Lake Serene (not far from our house).
Motors prohibited, and they put no parking signs all over by the boat launch area.

From 15-20 this was my fishing boat.

I would hit the trout limit pretty much every day in 3 lakes on this bad boy.

Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RusoArmo wrote:
os2firefox wrote:
RusoArmo wrote:
tannardog wrote:

I assume these aren't harmful to humans? I've never caught a fish where I saw parasites. I would toss it if I did.

Some parasites can be infective to humans (D. latum, fluke), but almost all of them can be rendered inert and safe for consumption by freezing the fish for a couple of days and then cooking it.

As tannardog said, warmer temperatures cause parasite loads to increase, however, all fish have parasites. You are just less likely to spot the issue on fish that have a lower load, because there is less observable evidence.

What tannardog mentioned are a type of copepod that should not be harmful to humans.

Here is a useful guide on common freshwater fish parasites from http://www.seagrant.umn.edu/fisheries/parasites:

Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:50 am

Wait you live in Lynnwood and you just had a baby? Do you need someone to babysit while you fish? Because I'm never going to have grandkids but I sure wish I was.

PS not a creeper hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is a useful guide on common freshwater fish parasites from http://www.seagrant.umn.edu/fisheries/parasites:

Image[/quote]
#2, anchor worm sounds like what I remember. Good to see its not a terribly bad thing. I still don't like fish... But the wife does... I am saving that picture just incase she she's something that creeps her out.

Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So pretty much if something looks or feels weird, toss it.

Freeze before eating.

Filets are better than frying the whole thing. Got it.

As for the baby. Baby is still cookin' in the oven. Expecting in early June. Appreciate the offer but we have 2 grandmas, 2 grandpas and a great grandpa on standby. 10min North of us and 10min South of us.

Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:24 pm

I've fished in Martha, Serene, and Ballinger from a kayak. They're all really fun in the summer because it's a 10-15 minute drive after work. I wouldn't plan on going to them on the weekend; much better to drive out of town. Parking is often muddy and limited.

Lots of sketchy people at Martha IMO. I prefer Ballinger for the scenery.

You'll mostly catch planter trout. Watch the DFW website and go after the lake is planted. The planters should be fine to eat but they will get nasty once the water warms up. You'll see lesions and parasites on them. They'll get really skinny by late summer. Still fun to catch, just not as enjoyable to eat...

Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next