Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:45 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Got 'yoyes but no decent shooting lanes 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So many coyotes hovering around but all the decent spots are in direct lines to neighbors houses.

Yesterday sitting out just before dusk enjoying some delish tacos and two coyotes went into the cow pasture to lap up calf droppings - prime spot from my porch to take them ~120 meters away. Problem is the 'backstop' is flat ground and light woods leading ~750 meters away to some houses. Eventually the local flock of canada geese chased off the coyotes.

Later that night the coyotes got into the neighbors chicken coop. Quite the racket - and he popped of two rounds.

There is a fairly narrow 30 degree 'window' with an open shooting lane but when the coyotes are in the zone they are 250 meters away - not quite in my effective range.

So the plan is to setup a decoy some calling and just use shotguns and try to get them in close and give them some buckshot.

A few weeks ago the coyotes got 15 chickens from next door so something has to be done ...

Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Look into one of the 25 or 38 caliber pellet rifles. I imagine they would play hell on some yotes

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:00 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you can get them in close enough, 12ga buckshot should do the trick. Sounds like fun!

Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:05 am
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Surely there's someone here that's proficient at 250m and will volunteer just for fun.

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:24 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Net them.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

got a bow?

Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:04 pm

I think that I would bait them into a shooting lane. Maybe a pile of treats and one of those wounded animal calls sitting on a post. Seems ,like you could rig something up using a photo cell to keep a battery charged.

Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dreadi wrote:
Surely there's someone here that's proficient at 250m and will volunteer just for fun.

I'm your huckleberry...

"For I have always lived violently, drunk hugely, eaten too much or not at all, slept around the clock or missed two nights of sleeping, worked too hard and too long in glory, or slobbed for a time in utter laziness. I’ve lifted, pulled, chopped, climbed, made love with joy and taken my hangovers as a consequence, not as a punishment."
-- John Steinbeck
"Experience is one thing you can't get for nothing."
-- Oscar Wilde
"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."
-- Marcus Aurelius
"Now I'm off to check out Drew's dick."
-- MadPick

Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hartcreek wrote:
I think that I would bait them into a shooting lane. Maybe a pile of treats and one of those wounded animal calls sitting on a post. Seems ,like you could rig something up using a photo cell to keep a battery charged.

Gut piles work wonders... so I've heard...
So does a suppressed .22 if they're in close enough...

"For I have always lived violently, drunk hugely, eaten too much or not at all, slept around the clock or missed two nights of sleeping, worked too hard and too long in glory, or slobbed for a time in utter laziness. I’ve lifted, pulled, chopped, climbed, made love with joy and taken my hangovers as a consequence, not as a punishment."
-- John Steinbeck
"Experience is one thing you can't get for nothing."
-- Oscar Wilde
"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."
-- Marcus Aurelius
"Now I'm off to check out Drew's dick."
-- MadPick

Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:20 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I can't picture exactly what your neighborhood looks like, but from your description I'm inclined to think that there's no safe way to do this.

Think of a typical shooting range and standard rules: You have a shooting line and a 'safe zone' 90 degrees to the left and 90 degrees to the right. If all you have is a 30-degree cone, then at BEST you have 15 degrees on either side of the bullet path. And that's only if you're shooting directly in the center of that cone....

It sounds to me like you need to just forget about shooting the coyotes within the neighborhood. Well, maybe archery is an option, I don't know, but I sure wouldn't want to be in your neighbor's house if you pull out a firearm.

Maybe you could get outside the ring of houses and then hunt the pack . . . ?

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you need firepower give me a PM.
Caller
AR
Optics

Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:58 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

If you can't put a shot on a dog at 250 meters there's a need for some new hardware. 20"barrel 55gr polymer tip .223 ought to drop them where they stand and unless it's a windy night you're golden.

Is there any high ground you can set up on to give you a down angle shot? That would minimize the risk of overshooting if you miss.

Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
I can't picture exactly what your neighborhood looks like, but from your description I'm inclined to think that there's no safe way to do this.

Think of a typical shooting range and standard rules: You have a shooting line and a 'safe zone' 90 degrees to the left and 90 degrees to the right. If all you have is a 30-degree cone, then at BEST you have 15 degrees on either side of the bullet path. And that's only if you're shooting directly in the center of that cone....

It sounds to me like you need to just forget about shooting the coyotes within the neighborhood. Well, maybe archery is an option, I don't know, but I sure wouldn't want to be in your neighbor's house if you pull out a firearm.

Maybe you could get outside the ring of houses and then hunt the pack . . . ?

Closest neighbor on the line I'd like to shoot (because that's where the coyotes always appear) is >750 meters - that's safe enough for a shotgun (buckshot) - no?

I was just trying to find the lazy way to sit on the back porch and shoot as opposed to getting out and doing a proper hunt.

There is a choice spot ~ 150 meters off to the side with miles of forest and a hill for a backstop (there is not +/-90 degrees 'safe zone' but close to +/- 70 degrees) but I just have to bait/decoy/call the coyotes on over - I never did that before but looks like to better way to go.

As for the effective range - I just can't shoot that good anymore (well, out of practice anyway). I'm working on that, too. For now I can do 4 MOA reliably but I don't think that is good enough for coyotes at 250 meters.

Not that this bit will clarify the neighborhood much but it is more like a line of houses (north-south) and then 4-5 plots at a 90 angle off in the distance (towards the west ) at the cross street (those are the ones out >750 meters). Pretty much everything NNW counterclockwise through S is forested land and hills. North clockwise through south in the easterly direction are scattered houses.

Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:52 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

SporkBoy wrote:
Closest neighbor on the line I'd like to shoot (because that's where the coyotes always appear) is >750 meters - that's safe enough for a shotgun (buckshot) - no?

I don't know, honestly. I don't know how far buckshot would go if it bounced off a rock or something.

I'm trying to put myself in your neighbor's house. I look out the window and see you 750 meters away, shooting directly at my house. Granted I may not be imagining the scenario correctly, but I'm thinking that the neighbor could get kinda pissed even if his house doesn't get hit.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:18 pm

st up the gut pile and a caller and get one of those elevated chairs so u are 10-15 feet up in the air

Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next