Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 WA Disabled VET special hunting/fishing reduced fees 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I haven't seen it, and although I don't hunt or fish much, the time and energy it takes to get yourself set up if you are a 30% or more disabled vet is definitely worth it:

http://wdfw.wa.gov/accessibility/requir ... erans.html

https://fishhunt.dfw.wa.gov/wdfw/licenses_fees.html

Combo Hunting and Fishing license is just $11! Anyway, once you are set up, you should be good to go from there on out. They can just pull you up wherever you go for your license.

Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:19 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Friend in another state had a stroke, lost most of the use of his left hand.
His disabled permit lets him put a rifle on a swivel mount outside his driver window and drive around in his truck road hunting.
Have to stop before you shoot, but he only has one good hand so couldn't shoot and drive at the same time anyhow.

Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:29 am

My orange placard allows me to do the same as your friend......I don't see much hunting that way but by having the placard it proves my disability so an officer can just sit and spin about me using anything thatr hauls my but into a hunting area as it is considered a "Mobility Devise"

Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can someone answer a simple question that I can't quickly find? But it should be listed...

Is "annual" calendar year, or 12 months from when purchased?

Also, maybe I'm misreading this chart.

I see combo fishing/shellfish as $11.
I don't see a combo hunting/fishing price though...

Last edited by leadcounsel on Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is a lot more to qualifying for disabled hunting than this.

Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:57 am
Site Moderator / In Memoriam
Site Moderator / In Memoriam

You have to be a min. of 30% disabled to qualify for disabled hunting and fishing license.
You need to contact your local Wa. Dept of Fish and Game office to get an application.
Need a signed certificate from a Dr.
If I remember, the combination hunting and fishing lic. is under $20. Tags are extra.

cootduster

I'm not old.

I'm just no longer young !!!

Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:08 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:

Are you going to share with all of us then?

Seems pretty straightforward. For vets, show a VA letter attesting to a qualifying disability of at least 30% as laid out by DFW. For everyone else, it's also fairly straightforward. http://wdfw.wa.gov/accessibility/requir ... tatus.html

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:09 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

leadcounsel wrote:
Can someone answer a simple question that I can't quickly find? But it should be listed...

Is "annual" calendar year, or 12 months from when purchased?

Also, maybe I'm misreading this chart.

I see combo fishing/shellfish as $11.
I don't see a combo hunting/fishing price though...

fishing / hunting 2 different categories you can not get combos together.. fishing/ Hunting you can get the combos on different species you pick or pole use. will be charged more for rivers that run into columbia.

fishing license starts may 1 and end april 30th of following yr. so if you got yours on 7/1 its only good for 9 months then. hunting your required to turn them in by jan 31 of the following yr. PG.6 of reg (orange) highlighted

Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kf7mjf wrote:
NWGunner wrote:

Are you going to share with all of us then?

Seems pretty straightforward. For vets, show a VA letter attesting to a qualifying disability of at least 30% as laid out by DFW. For everyone else, it's also fairly straightforward. http://wdfw.wa.gov/accessibility/requir ... tatus.html

Well, my point was to the OP and his quest, not to you, or your passive curiosity.

Since I help run support groups for the disabled at Harborview, American Lakes, the 2VA's, and Seattle Children's, yes, there is more to it than this. But you googled a website, so, shit, you know better....

Part of what I try to do is get people back into their hobbies, or help them pursue new hobbies.

Oftentimes, if a guy or gal loses a limb, their friends stop calling when hunting season comes around, thinking they are immoble, or not worth the trouble.

A disabled hunting permit can get you in to areas that able-bodied folks can't go, which then puts them on a 'first-call' list when hunting season comes around because it can get you in to usually restricted areas. It can change ones self-esteem immensely when friends are calling instead of ignoring. But those permits aren't always easy to get, it's a lottery system.

But since you're the expert, and don't really care about people or the point of any thread, feel free to guide us with anything other than your 30 seconds of google-fu......oh genius of everything

Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:40 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So other than the stated requirements set forth by DFW, is there more to what the state has actually laid out on their website (because if there is it would be interesting to know, since yano, it's not spelled out where it should be) or are you just having a bad night?

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:08 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

joao01 wrote:
Combo Hunting and Fishing license is just $11! Anyway, once you are set up, you should be good to go from there on out. They can just pull you up wherever you go for your license.

You're a bit confused on the Fee Schedule

The $11 is a combo fishing license. That means you can fish saltwater/Freshwater for $11. But for some instances you have to pay more on top of that, for example to crab in "Puget sound" you will have to pony up another $8.75.

There is also reduced fees for "Disabled Hunters" which varies depending on what tags/License you buy, but the cost to hunt is much more than the $11.

Also as said above, if you are a Disabled Hunter, you can qualify for special hunts, as well as can be granted access to areas on both private and public lands to hunt that are off limits to others or you can get a key to gates so you can drive in, where others are only allowed access by foot.
You may also qualify for other accommodations. You may get authorization to use a crossbow if you have an upper extremity disability preventing you from shooting a traditional bow for archery hunting.
You are also allowed to shoot from a vehicle, which is forbidden for non disabled hunters.

Also it should be noted, that qualifying as a Disabled Vet to get the reduced fees, does not automatically mean you are considered Disabled in terms of getting disabled status for hunting/fishing access or the special use of ADA items like 4 wheelers or crossbows.

This page better explains it and shows the various programs the WDFW offers for those who are Disabled.
http://wdfw.wa.gov/accessibility/requir ... tatus.html

Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:17 am

Actually chasing tail you are partially wrong as the Disabled Vet estabishes that one is disabled and after that the ADA applies and since the DOJ re defigned what a Mobility devise is about five years ago the state and federal agencies have to accept that ruleing so one does not have to just put in for specialty draws to get in places you just have to drive your mobility device around or through the gate and go hunting.

Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:15 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hartcreek wrote:
Actually chasing tail you are partially wrong as the Disabled Vet estabishes that one is disabled and after that the ADA applies and since the DOJ re defigned what a Mobility devise is about five years ago the state and federal agencies have to accept that ruleing so one does not have to just put in for specialty draws to get in places you just have to drive your mobility device around or through the gate and go hunting.

He didn't say you can ONLY hunt in the special draws. You just get access for special hunts also. Like I know they had a DV only grouse day a little back before everyone else could go. They also do it for kids hunting sometimes.

Also for you vets,

A 30% disability if you're a veteran will give you free camping, mooring, boat launches, and trailer dump use at any WA state park. You need to fill out and send the application in though.

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:59 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wired wrote:
hartcreek wrote:

He didn't say you can ONLY hunt in the special draws. You just get access for special hunts also. Like I know they had a DV only grouse day a little back before everyone else could go. They also do it for kids hunting sometimes.

Also for you vets,

A 30% disability if you're a veteran will give you free camping, mooring, boat launches, and trailer dump use at any WA state park. You need to fill out and send the application in though.

Where is said form? I did not know about the camping/boating stuff.

Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:08 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

joao01 wrote:
Wired wrote:
hartcreek wrote:

Also for you vets,

Where is said form? I did not know about the camping/boating stuff.

Forgot to say it also acts as your discover pass in state parks.
http://parks.state.wa.us/205/Passes

Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next