Switch to full style
Your hunting and fishing destination!
Post a reply

Bit of a long shot

Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:12 pm

Hey all, I`m not a hunter but I figure the crowd here may be able to lend a hand.

While down at the creek the other day I came across a really weird animal track in the mud, it had two long fingers about as long as your middle and pointer fingers and a smaller one pointing behind like a dog`s dew claw. I didn`t get a picture then and now that the creek is overflowing there`s no way to get one. There was another today though, partially submerged. Same size and shape, and pushed deep into the muck. According to my books it`s possibly some sort of large predatory bird. I`m sure it`s nocturnal since the dogs keep barking at something by the creek almost nightly. If it`s some kind of bird maybe the weather disturbed it`s nest or something? Might explain why it`s down here now. Thanks in advance and if I come across any more I`ll try to get a pic.

Re: Bit of a long shot

Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:33 pm

Something like this Blue Heron's footprint?

Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:34 pm

delliottg wrote:Something like this Blue Heron's footprint?

Very similar, but the back toe was a bit longer and I didn`t see a third toe up front. Doesn`t mean one wasn`t there of course.

Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:37 pm

Hey, I got down to the bottom of the hill at the creek where I found them. Wasn`t able to get any really good photos (no new tracks, only the remains of what were there) but here`s one of the area itself:
This is what was left of the partially-submerged track, it was mostly washed away and I`m not 100% sure how well it shows up in the photo itself so I tried to show the general shape with my impeccable MS Paint skills.

Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:44 pm

It's Bigfoot! :ROFLMAO:

Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:45 pm

WOD wrote:It's Tinyfoot! :ROFLMAO:

FTFY
Someone else was saying it was a Velociraptor when I found the first one. That would explain why nobody`s been using my old bus stop for a while. :rofl9:

Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:08 pm

How deep were the impressions?? I can't think of any birds that are not at least 3 forward toes

What your describing g sounds more like a deer print that had maybe filled in a bit. Birds generally don't make enough noise to alert dogs, deer certainly do

Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:12 pm

toys in the toybox wrote:How deep were the impressions?? I can't think of any birds that are not at least 3 forward toes

What your describing g sounds more like a deer print that had maybe filled in a bit. Birds generally don't make enough noise to alert dogs, deer certainly do

On the first one I found (now long gone) it was about 2 and a half inches deep, the newer ones are maybe 3/4 an inch.

Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:38 pm

I saw an Xfiles episode that started this way....

Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:41 pm

olydemon wrote:I saw an Xfiles episode that started this way....

Good thing I`m basically Fox freaking Mulder to begin with, deadpan expression and everything.
:ROFLMAO:

Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:46 pm

Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:47 pm

Guntrader wrote:Image

Mos Def.

Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:48 pm

Chupacabra...

Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:22 pm

Put the tinfoil away kids.......deer. put a trail cam down there or look for signs of foraging...it's deer

Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:44 pm

Guntrader wrote:Image

Post a reply