Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:57 pm

Rules Brads Guns RA I5 Guns & Ammo Killer Innovations WAC
WGO Chat Room Rehv Arms LPG Pintos
Gear COUNTYLINE WCA Fortis 2A Ind.
Calendar





Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 2017 Hunting Season 
Author Message
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: SUNNY SW WA COAST NEAR ILWACO
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011
Posts: 1080
Real Name: Ratchet Thunderfuk
I whacked an elk today with my muzzle loader. I get one every year with this rifle. This is the 19th elk killed by this rifle. 350 grain bullet in front of 130 grains of FFF powder.
Image
Image
Image

_________________
Si vis pacem fac bellum


Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:39 pm
Profile
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
User avatar
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Location: Tacoma
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2014
Posts: 3501
:bow: :bigsmile: :thumbsup2: :mulletslayer:

Is that guy in draw tag GMU?


Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:04 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Tacoma
Joined: Mon May 7, 2012
Posts: 3052
Real Name: Larry
dreadi wrote:
lamrith wrote:
Went Idaho for Archery Elk. Finally popped my cherry and drew blood as an archery hunter with my 1st harvest.

Of a bear. I did not get good picture of me with him down do to recovering predawn the next morning, just took a quick one of him before we had to get to work before 1st light.
Image







But I think video of the shot video makes up for it!


How far did the bear run?

He went about 20yrds after left camera view, and actually turned left and came down to drop about 30yrds from my stand. His death moans are at end of vid, 1min from shot.

_________________
Image

Talons wrote:
it's too plastic, even for me.
it's like old, overworked, plastic everywhere old pornwhore amounts of plastic.


Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:56 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: SUNNY SW WA COAST NEAR ILWACO
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011
Posts: 1080
Real Name: Ratchet Thunderfuk
dreadi wrote:
:bow: :bigsmile: :thumbsup2: :mulletslayer:

Is that guy in draw tag GMU?


No, 3 point minimum Western elk early muzzle loader, GMU 673.

I live in this unit.

_________________
Si vis pacem fac bellum


Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:26 pm
Profile
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
User avatar
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Location: Tacoma
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2014
Posts: 3501
badclam wrote:
dreadi wrote:
:bow: :bigsmile: :thumbsup2: :mulletslayer:

Is that guy in draw tag GMU?


No, 3 point minimum Western elk early muzzle loader, GMU 673.

I live in this unit.
I see ya!
Every method is 3pt minimum. Hmmm Looks really thick in there!


Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:39 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: SUNNY SW WA COAST NEAR ILWACO
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011
Posts: 1080
Real Name: Ratchet Thunderfuk
dreadi wrote:
badclam wrote:
dreadi wrote:
:bow: :bigsmile: :thumbsup2: :mulletslayer:

Is that guy in draw tag GMU?


No, 3 point minimum Western elk early muzzle loader, GMU 673.

I live in this unit.
I see ya!
Every method is 3pt minimum. Hmmm Looks really thick in there!


The brush is thick, but the unit is loaded with elk. There are 5 herds within a few miles around my property right now.
You just have to learn how to catch them in the open, which living here gives us locals a huge advantage.

_________________
Si vis pacem fac bellum


Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:48 pm
Profile
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
User avatar
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Location: Tacoma
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2014
Posts: 3501
badclam wrote:
dreadi wrote:
badclam wrote:
dreadi wrote:
:bow: :bigsmile: :thumbsup2: :mulletslayer:

Is that guy in draw tag GMU?


No, 3 point minimum Western elk early muzzle loader, GMU 673.

I live in this unit.
I see ya!
Every method is 3pt minimum. Hmmm Looks really thick in there!


The brush is thick, but the unit is loaded with elk. There are 5 herds within a few miles around my property right now.
You just have to learn how to catch them in the open, which living here gives us locals a huge advantage.
Your record is quite impressive and getting it done near home has to be a bonus.


Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:39 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: SUNNY SW WA COAST NEAR ILWACO
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011
Posts: 1080
Real Name: Ratchet Thunderfuk
Living where there is a lot of game means we get to hunt and fish a lot because we don't have to take time off from work to do it. I generally hunt before and after work, or on my rare days off. With so much time to hunt and fish, you naturally get good at it, especially here. I'm better than most, partly because I do it more than most. Partly because of my natural ability and tenacity. But even the less than talented hunters that live here usually do pretty good. We're saturated in opportunity. Also living here we get to hunt a lot of private land, like my spread. :bigsmile: Goose and Duck opens this Saturday. I'm ready!

Here's a game cam shot of the elk I shot, a week before I took him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdxQwHsZPhQ

_________________
Si vis pacem fac bellum


Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:30 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Mountlake Terrace
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2014
Posts: 4157
Last weekend, I went over to Yakima for the quail opener. Our final count was 51, which is nowhere near our record of 120, but we also spent a lot more time dicking around with gun and vehicle issues this year, so that probably had something to do with it. We saw a healthy population of birds, but no massive coveys (40+) like we've seen in years past. I think the largest group was about 25; they were gathering to roost for the evening, about 30 minutes before last light. We gave them nightmares...well, the survivors, anyway. :bigsmile:

We also popped a good number of ground squirrels; it's obligatory as far as the landowners are concerned. I had one shot downhill and across a small ravine about 90 yards away. Dropped him hard with my 10/22...it was kind of a prayer shot, especially with the wind, but he had a clean hole between the ears. :snipersmilie:

I also decided it would be a good idea to secure our future hunting rights by bearing gifts for the landowners who have been real good to us over the past 20 years. We went to Costco and bought about $300 worth of Prime Ribeye Steaks and some bottles of wine. It paid off right away, as we received some valuable intel and some new contacts. Money well spent. :thumbsup2:

I thought I was going to have a couple pictures to post with this, but apparently my phone's SD card decided to bite the dust so I can't access them right now. I'll see if someone else in my hunting party has a photo.


Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:43 am
Profile
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
User avatar
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Location: Tacoma
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2014
Posts: 3501
badclam wrote:
Living where there is a lot of game means we get to hunt and fish a lot because we don't have to take time off from work to do it. I generally hunt before and after work, or on my rare days off. With so much time to hunt and fish, you naturally get good at it, especially here. I'm better than most, partly because I do it more than most. Partly because of my natural ability and tenacity. But even the less than talented hunters that live here usually do pretty good. We're saturated in opportunity. Also living here we get to hunt a lot of private land, like my spread. :bigsmile: Goose and Duck opens this Saturday. I'm ready!

Here's a game cam shot of the elk I shot, a week before I took him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdxQwHsZPhQ
That’s pretty cool. Is that painters tape over the muzzle to keep your powder dry? Did you shoot him in the neck?


Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:04 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: SUNNY SW WA COAST NEAR ILWACO
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011
Posts: 1080
Real Name: Ratchet Thunderfuk
dreadi wrote:
badclam wrote:
Living where there is a lot of game means we get to hunt and fish a lot because we don't have to take time off from work to do it. I generally hunt before and after work, or on my rare days off. With so much time to hunt and fish, you naturally get good at it, especially here. I'm better than most, partly because I do it more than most. Partly because of my natural ability and tenacity. But even the less than talented hunters that live here usually do pretty good. We're saturated in opportunity. Also living here we get to hunt a lot of private land, like my spread. :bigsmile: Goose and Duck opens this Saturday. I'm ready!

Here's a game cam shot of the elk I shot, a week before I took him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdxQwHsZPhQ
That’s pretty cool. Is that painters tape over the muzzle to keep your powder dry? Did you shoot him in the neck?

Yes, and yes. The shot was from above, he was quartered toward me, so the bullet entered the neck and went through the neck traveling down and across, and then through the shoulder bone, stopping just under the skin The head shot was to end his suffering when I got to him.

_________________
Si vis pacem fac bellum


Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:13 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Skagit Valley
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012
Posts: 3076
Real Name: Kyle
Just made up about 22lbs of venison breakfast sausage. 8 packages of italian, and 9 packs of a mild breakfast sausage. Turned out pretty damn good.


Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:50 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: SUNNY SW WA COAST NEAR ILWACO
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011
Posts: 1080
Real Name: Ratchet Thunderfuk
Today is opening day of duck and goose season. My dog with the limit of ducks I shot and he retrieved.
Image

_________________
Si vis pacem fac bellum


Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:50 pm
Profile
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
User avatar
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Location: Tacoma
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2014
Posts: 3501
No deer for us this weekend. Although the highlight was the look on the YL's face while she drove my truck down the Colockum for the first time. I think she overly enjoyed it.


Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:21 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Mount Vernon
Joined: Fri Aug 3, 2012
Posts: 153
My 13 year old daughter finally closed the deal after 3 seasons. Pretty good buck for a first one! :snipersmilie:

Image


Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:21 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum



Rent Me Pintos NRA SAF CCKRBA
Aldersons UPAMMO


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software for PTF.
[ Time : 1.130s | 19 Queries | GZIP : On ]