Switch to full style
Come join us on 6/20/2015 for a cleanup of the Lower (Triangle) Pit at the Capitol Forest! There will be shooting afterwards!
Post a reply

Re: 06.20.15 Triangle Pit Clean-n-Shoot Thread

Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:13 pm

Massivedesign wrote:I pulled out right at 3:00.

man sometimes its worth it to quote someone

Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:47 pm

I'm so glad I was able to make it down today, although I wish I could've gotten more cleaning done. But it was awesome...my first time going to an event like that. I didn't even know if I would shoot. From what I hear everyone did a fantastic job cleaning up. Special thanks to Steve, Chris, Dan, and Rick for the smiling faces and lots of instruction for this newbie, and nice meeting some other of you guys. And also for the Hornady hat! Now I just need to get some of their Critical Defense, lol. I had a blast!!!! Literally! Especially with the SKS. :mulletslayer:

Here's some pics I took right as the shooting began, plus poser pics with one of Steve's gun (please tell me what it was again?) I did shoot it...the laser sight was cool...like I was in a video game:

And my new Hornady hat (thanks Chris):

Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:13 pm

We should have a bunch of new wagunners. I got there a bout three, and the one person I talked to (Dave?) was impressed. The right message was sent by our group! Great job guys!

Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:28 pm

I do have a question, though...isn't shooting someone else's gun out there illegal due to that crap 594? I was about to post pics of me with the SKS on FB and went, um......whoa...............stupid f-ing I don't need to tell you guys pile of horse dung....

??

Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:47 pm

samuraikitty7 wrote:I do have a question, though...isn't shooting someone else's gun out there illegal due to that crap 594? I was about to post pics of me with the SKS on FB and went, um......whoa...............stupid f-ing I don't need to tell you guys pile of horse dung....

??

Thurston county, Sheriff Snaza doesn't care as long as you know the person isn't "prohibited".

Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:03 pm

Nick and Berry from WA DNR, thank you for allowing WAguns.org access to the pit for cleanup. Steve, Chris, Dan, and Rick from WAguns.org: thanks for setting this event up. I have been enjoying shooting at the pit since 2005, and I am glad to pitch in to keep it open for responsible shooters.

I wish I would have taken before and after pictures. The only thing down range was the impossible plethora of shotgun shell wads; there are more wads than rocks down there!

If your reading this thread and thinking of using the triangle pit, please take note of the hard work put in by about 50 people today. Don't throw your trash into the wood line, or shoot plastic/glass/appliances and leave it. These actions force the WA Department of Natural Resources to potentially close sites of to recreational shooting. Other locations in the Capitol State Forest have been closed to shooting because of irresponsible behaviors. You need a Discovery Pass to utilize Capital State Forest (available for purchase online). Leave your brass if you want....plenty of Waguns.org members will be happy to take it home, but pick up after yourself otherwise.

Great job to everyone that helped today, it was nice meeting all of you.

Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:34 pm

samuraikitty7 wrote:I do have a question, though...isn't shooting someone else's gun out there illegal due to that crap 594? I was about to post pics of me with the SKS on FB and went, um......whoa...............stupid f-ing I don't need to tell you guys pile of horse dung....

??

I thought they exempted the temporary transfer for shooting while at a range.

Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:36 pm

Mike in Wa wrote:

??

They do, but is that considered a "legal" range?

Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:37 pm

samuraikitty7 wrote:
Mike in Wa wrote:

??

The authority for that location says we can shoot there.

Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:43 pm

That has been one of the questions all along. What is a legal, certified range? There is no certification process for gun ranges is there?

Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:52 pm

Cat, that gun is an AR-15 pistol in 300 Blackout, with a Specwar 762 suppressor.

The sight is an Eotech red dot; it's not a laser sight. A laser sight will actually project a dot on the target, just like in the movies.

Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:53 pm

MadPick wrote:Cat, that gun is an AR-15 pistol in 300 Blackout, with a Specwar 762 suppressor.

The sight is an Eotech red dot; it's not a laser sight. A laser sight will actually project a dot on the target, just like in the movies.

Thanks, Steve. I had a feeling I was using incorrect nomenclature there!

Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:57 pm

Mike in Wa wrote:
samuraikitty7 wrote:
Mike in Wa wrote:

??

The authority for that location says we can shoot there.

Yes but, shooting someone else's weapon...that is the rub. A gray area perhaps? I would love to share my shooting that SKS with friends for sure, plus the AR.

Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:02 pm

Cat, there's no clear answer about what type of sharing is permitted. That's the whole drama about 594 and what the definition of a "transfer" is. You will not get a definitive answer to your question until a court rules on it.

Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:10 pm

MadPick wrote:Cat, there's no clear answer about what type of sharing is permitted. That's the whole drama about 594 and what the definition of a "transfer" is. You will not get a definitive answer to your question until a court rules on it.

Ok, so let my 'Merkin flag fly and takes my chances? If so, I don't know ANY of you people! ;-) And I hope you don't know me....
Post a reply