Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 9:47 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 2134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137 ... 143  Next
 Smoker thread? Smoker thread. 
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Ok, I think I was expecting the fat to all just melt away. So it’s normal to have a good amount of unrendered fat left over in the pan/pot?

Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:36 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes. If you cut it smaller or grind it, you’ll get more. If you wear protective gloves and squeeze it out at the end, you’ll get more.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:21 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Is there an advantage to wrapping with butcher paper over foil? I found it a lot harder to probe through paper than foil.

Tallow pot boiling on the grill and very poorly wrapped brisket :bigsmile:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always use paper myself, unless ribs. I have found foil works better for me with those.
More tender and pull back on the bones.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:32 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Foil allows less moisture to escape, so gives you maximum tenderness . . . which may or may not be a good thing, depending on the texture you want.

Butcher paper allows some moisture to escape but not all of it. The benefit is that it does a better job of preserving the bark that you built prior to wrapping.

Another option to consider is the "foil boat," where you wrap the bottom and sides in foil, but leave the top exposed. That's a good compromise for some meats, including brisket, and it makes probing with the thermometer easy.

Mike, that's a nice pan that you've got that tallow in. It's not going to be that nice by the end of the day, and you're going to need to use some elbow grease to get it clean. I'd suggest getting a stash of pans like this for smoker use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N6NBTB6/.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like to remove the wrap, whatever it is I'm using at least an hour before done to firm up the bark. That's just how I do it, I don't want really soft bark.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:16 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

MadPick wrote:
Foil allows less moisture to escape, so gives you maximum tenderness . . . which may or may not be a good thing, depending on the texture you want.

Butcher paper allows some moisture to escape but not all of it. The benefit is that it does a better job of preserving the bark that you built prior to wrapping.

Another option to consider is the "foil boat," where you wrap the bottom and sides in foil, but leave the top exposed. That's a good compromise for some meats, including brisket, and it makes probing with the thermometer easy.

Mike, that's a nice pan that you've got that tallow in. It's not going to be that nice by the end of the day, and you're going to need to use some elbow grease to get it clean. I'd suggest getting a stash of pans like this for smoker use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N6NBTB6/.

Have you checked out business Costco for those foil pans? I got a 30 pack for $9.99. Hadn’t thought to put the tallow in them. Good idea. That pot in the grill is from my camping cookware. A little color won’t hurt it :bigsmile:

Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:39 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

usrifle wrote:
I like to remove the wrap, whatever it is I'm using at least an hour before done to firm up the bark. That's just how I do it, I don't want really soft bark.

That’s a good idea. I definitely lost the rigidity of the bark on this brisket. It was moist though!

Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:40 pm

So I finally caved and opened up a pack of my smoked cheese a couple of days ago.....
Started off with the xsharp white cheddar --- I was quite surprised how well it turned out knowing how horrid it smelled when it went into the the vac seal - it smelled 'pretty smoky' with a tinge of bitter left.... taste wise - again - a hint of bitterness on the rind with a good dose of smoke --- I would 'almost' say 'too much' - but it worked well with the sharpness of the cheese. I enjoyed snacking on a sliver or two at a time all weekend - a good flavor that just made you want to go back for more, but you know you shouldn't. No real long lasting after taste like before it was vac'd. Pretty happy with the outcome considering that I thought I had trashed the whole batch! I'm certain that the next batches will be much better.

Gonna wait til the weekend to try out the Monterey Jack so it has a full two weeks and the medium cheddar to follow.... I'm expecting them to be on the 'heavy' side of the smoke too. I'm kinda thinking it was good to have the problems that I did on the FIRST batch --- it showed me what heavy/too much smoke tastes like on cheese so that I will keep it dialed back instead of pushing more toward the up end each time.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bet that cheese will keep improving as it ages, Good to hear it wasn't a loss. :thumbsup2:

I have two Tri Tips that have been seasoned up since Saturday ready to offset smoke and then sear. They are sitting on the counter slowly coming to room temp before I start them.

It's been a minute since I did Tri tips, thanks to Steve for letting me have a couple from his Meat horde. :bigsmile:

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cast iron pans work well in the smoker also

Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Couple Tri tips fresh out of the Weber. Offset smoked using B&B briquettes.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:13 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

usrifle wrote:
Couple Tri tips fresh out of the Weber. Offset smoked using B&B briquettes.

Ooh those look good!

Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I sliced up a half of one and vacuum sealed the other pieces.

I really laid the Montreal on thick, it's got big flavor. The B&B briquettes really have a smoke punch too, more than Kingsford. All in all I'm satisfied, but I would ease up on the Montreal next time. Plus it has two days in the fridge seasoned up before smoking.

My lighting and phone camera suck, but it's got a pretty deep smoke ring. You sure can smell and taste the smoke!

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:51 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Those look delicious! Did she let you try it, or are those already spoken for?

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137 ... 143  Next