Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 8:42 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 2125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142  Next
 Smoker thread? Smoker thread. 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sinus211 wrote:
Madpick those short ribs look delicious! Did you really drink the meat juice you animal? :ROFLMAO:

Hadati those hams look incredible! I just put one on an hour ago. Hope it turns out half as good as those look. What internal temp did you pull them off at? Uncovered the whole time? Rest?

Thanks! I think I had the meat probes set to 120F internal and had them ranging from 117 to 121 when I pulled them, though since they were pre-sliced and pre-cooked, I mainly didn't want to dry them out. The water pan helped with this as did spritzing them with a water/maple syrup/honey spritz after they'd been on for a solid hour, about every 15 minutes. The glaze was applied I think 6 times during the last hour (think it was about a 3.5 hour total cook time). They were uncovered the whole time on the Kamado Joe, but then I pulled them, wrapped them and let them sit in a 200F oven for another about hour waiting for family to arrive for the Easter meal. The heavy duty double foil helped keep the moisture in at this point.

It's a bit unnerving putting stuff up on here, since you guys are all so accomplished, but yeah it was straight up meat candy. Everyone wanted to take leftovers home, which is why I made two of 8 pounders. Everyone went home happy with a bunch of extra ham. :)

Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:23 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

hadati wrote:
It's a bit unnerving putting stuff up on here, since you guys are all so accomplished

Oh hell no! Post away!

Shit, I post every failure that I have, too. Which is fairly common. :ROFLMAO:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
hadati wrote:
It's a bit unnerving putting stuff up on here, since you guys are all so accomplished

Oh hell no! Post away!

Shit, I post every failure that I have, too. Which is fairly common. :ROFLMAO:

THIS keep posting away no ones accomplished here, I don't got no james beard award helps get other idea's on what to do and seeing how someone else cooks

Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:35 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

hadati wrote:

Dude I have no idea what I’m doing. Any successful cooks I have are due to you fellas helping.

Keep posting, it helps!

Potatoes and Texas twinkies from tonight. I won’t post the chuckeye roast I ruined. Live and learn.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:43 pm

You are supposed to post your FAILS so that the rest of us can learn what NOT to do.... :facepalm2:

(and so we can make fun of your silly oversights that we all make :045: )

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:34 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

JohnMBrowning wrote:
You are supposed to post your FAILS so that the rest of us can learn what NOT to do.... :facepalm2:

(and so we can make fun of your silly oversights that we all make :045: )

I didn't take any pics of my failure, but here's what I think happened.

I found a chuck eye roast at Albertsons (odd cut, I know) and decided that was going to be our family dinner with the potatoes and poppers. Wasn't sure on cook time to mid-rare so I started it early. It climbed faster than expected so I pulled it at 120 internal (about 90 minutes earlier than expected) to let it rest and sear later. Here's where I think I screwed up. Instead of letting it rest open I immediately foil and towel wrapped and placed it in a small cooler. Pretty sure it climbed big time while "resting." I pulled it later to sear and could tell it was over by how the firm the meat felt. Did a quick sear in beef tallow and sliced to reveal medium-well to well done throughout.

Sigh. Great flavor, big time chewy.

Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:00 am

Well damn..... hard to make fun of you for that.....
Lessons learned the hard way are the most useful.... you won't make that mistake again.
It always kinda sucks when you start to 'wing it' going on what you've heard or seen on YT - not everything applies to certain things. And then you get tripped up by over thinking things....

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....

Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:06 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

JohnMBrowning wrote:
Well damn..... hard to make fun of you for that.....
Lessons learned the hard way are the most useful.... you won't make that mistake again.
It always kinda sucks when you start to 'wing it' going on what you've heard or seen on YT - not everything applies to certain things. And then you get tripped up by over thinking things....

Exactly. Live and learn and have an abundance of chili meat to start with! :bigsmile:

Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:37 pm

Not to second guess what you did since I haven't tried one yet myself, but what I'm seeing for chuck roasts is to treat them more like a brisket.... take them to ~170ish and then wrap them and hold them. I'm guessing you want to render all the internal fat and collagen to soften it after its hit the 'well done' stage.

This guy doesn't 'look' like any amazing smoker or pitmaster by any means, but his results looked good....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt9ORBu5DHQ

Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:46 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

JohnMBrowning wrote:
Not to second guess what you did since I haven't tried one yet myself, but what I'm seeing for chuck roasts is to treat them more like a brisket.... take them to ~170ish and then wrap them and hold them. I'm guessing you want to render all the internal fat and collagen to soften it after its hit the 'well done' stage.

This guy doesn't 'look' like any amazing smoker or pitmaster by any means, but his results looked good....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt9ORBu5DHQ

You're definitely on to something. The tips of the roast that had gone way over seemed like they had started to tenderize again.

I think one of the main things I'm really enjoying with smoking is the experimentation. Trying one way. Massively failing, but being excited to try it a different way next time.

Ribs are on the grill tonight. Fingers crossed! :bigsmile:

Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:20 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Sweet redemption!

Baby backs at 180 for 2 hours, 225 wrapped for 2 hours, then high heat 5 minutes each side to render fat and crisp the bark. Much better than chewy chuck!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Floor Boi Be Smokin’ ! :thumbsup2:

Good job!

Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:29 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

NWGunner wrote:
Floor Boi Be Smokin’ ! :thumbsup2:

Good job!

Thanks man, needed a win after my last failed attempt.

Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:40 pm

Redemption is always a good thing.
Tonight was a 'ketchup and mustard' night.... cheddar smoked sausages.... I could have done them on the gasser, but thats no fun - not worth loading up the smoke tube for three dogs..... but I have no problem burning some half-burnt-coals with a big chunk of apple wood for extra flavor! I let them hang out in the smoke for quite a while to brown up and gave them some direct heat at the end to crisp them a bit....

Attachment:
20240409_182200.jpg

Go ahead and hate me for just doing three.... I'm trying to manage my cooking before I take off out of town. Well worth the extra effort to gain so much flavor..... and its fun playing with coals and wood!!! I would have done all six in the package, but then I would have just been throwing them in the freezer until I get back --- I'd rather do another fresh cook. I wouldn't have loaded a smoke tube for these, nor would it have been rational to fire up a pellet smoker..... but THATS the beauty of a kettle and a large store of smoke wood!!! The gas assist start makes it too easy.... the kettle is quickly becoming my workhorse grill.

Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:38 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sinus211, those ribs look great.

I never seem to be able to master ribs . . . . :frust:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142  Next