Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:51 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 2125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 138, 139, 140, 141, 142  Next
 Smoker thread? Smoker thread. 
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

JMB- those cheddar dogs look good! I may need to get a kettle. You guys do some great work on those briquettes!

Madpick- ribs are so consistently inconsistent. Even among this batch only 1 of the 1/2 racks was just right. 1 completely fell apart when cutting, 1 had a half that was good consistency but the rest fell apart. The ribs on my plate were from the only rack where they were all firm enough to cut through but then fall off the bone when bitten. Ribs are definitely frustrating.

Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:11 pm

Just a quick tip that will serve you so much in the future ---- NEVER use bbq sauce strait out of the jar.... cut it with apple juice, BEER, dr pepper, BEER, cherry coke, BEER..... Its just too damn thick coming out of the bottle - its overkill. A "thin" sauce does so much better and coats so smoothly..... Its something you will learn..... I started out with thick multi coatings of sauce on things - now its more about the seasoning and the smoke - sauce is just a cover if you eff it up.... still good, but thin it out. It makes the bbq sauce stretch so much further.... that (good) shit aint cheap.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:11 pm

If anyone is looking for a new smoking toy --- this unit is all the talk over on the weber forum.
A 22" Weber kettle crossed with a STEEL kamado with a temp controller!!!!
This unit would easily compete with any pellet smoker as far as ease of use and maintenance from the looks of it..... I'm intrigued.... and $750 (pre order price) seems like a reasonable price for a STEEL kamado. They say it can be run without the controller so it behaves just like a kettle/kamado -- one of the gripes on the weber forum is that people would want it without the controller.... the charcoal 'purists'. It would definitely beat the hell out of any of the 'gravity feed' charcoal smokers.

https://www.spidergrills.com/

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....

Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:40 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

I seasoned the Millennium Falcon tonight:

This will get smoked tomorrow, then get a long rest in sous vide, and eaten on Saturday. I'll post more on it after that happens.

This sucker is 15.6 pounds, and about 18 inches across in both directions. It's not a brisket.

If anyone knows what it is, I'll award you huge internet points.

Contest open to U.S residents 18 years of age or older, who are not moderators or admins of this site, and with username other than usrifle or Rutilate.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wild guess bottom sirloin.

I made a grill cheese from the cheddar that usrifle gave me. I like it better sliced and eaten on a cracker.

Speaking of usrifle is he ok?

Studying for my Liberal Arts degree at Evergreen College.

YouTube taught me, just like everybody else.

Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:45 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, he's good, I talk to him regularly. thumbsup

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:06 am

My guess would be its a MONSTER tri-tip with the other cuts still attached..... don't know what its called....

What happened to usrifle? I've been gone for six days.... what did I miss? Did he have a scooter mishap?

Smoked cheese update ---- So - I took the last half of the smoked Monterrey cheese block with me on my flight - along with some oven roasted little smokies - and met up with my brother in Phoenix for the drive down to Tucson --- these ended up being the perfect road snack for the 2 hour ride before we met up with mom and dad for dinner! My brother - who is well versed with smoke - gave the cheese a solid two thumbs up :thumbsup2: He found it to be quite tasty and didn't think it was 'over smoked' nor did he find any 'ashtray taste' that I had noticed but came to appreciate --- I think the extra resting time really helped tone that down. And it paired NICELY with the little smokies too!!! (I already knew that)

I also brought a block of sharp cheddar down too to have with the rest of the family.... So, that came out of the fridge at 5:30am and didn't get back into a fridge until 5:30pm..... I was a bit concerned because the block had gotten REALLY soft (thank god it was vac sealed to contain it) and it 'looked like' the oils were seeping out into the bag. It sat in the fridge for a couple of days before we got around to breaking into it and it firmed back up with no problem. I was amazed when I opened and sliced it that there wasn't any oil on the surface or bag! Everyone REALLY enjoyed it! I got lots of kudos and 'we're placing orders for xmas' !!! NO complaints of 'this tastes TOO smokey'... even from sis who is somewhat smoke adverse. I could still taste a bit of ashyness myself, but it was still really good! Now I'm wondering if by letting the cheese 'soften' for most of a day had any impact on mellowing and distributing the smoke.....

I've got the last block of xtra sharp white cheddar from the first attempt still in the fridge and planning on another round as soon as cheese goes on sale again!

Last edited by JohnMBrowning on Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Yeah, he's good, I talk to him regularly. thumbsup

thumbsup

JMB, I haven't seen him around

Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:12 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Interesting cut of meat that Madpick had there. Hint: not usually sold in the US, more popular in South America.

The wife and I were at Costco this morning and I couldn’t help myself from grabbing some pork belly to put on today. Pig candy at 225 for 3 hours with rub, covered in homemade sweet sauce with soy, honey, and brown sugar for 90 minutes, then uncovered again for 45 minutes to caramelize the sugars.

It was so fatty/sweet/rich I separated the leftovers into 4 vacuum sealed bags for snacking later. I’ll reheat this stuff when it can be tempered by something a little more sensible, like chicken.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh the one from Mad Scientist?

Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:32 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

That pork belly looks delicious, Mike. But yeah, that's quite a set of flavors you've got on it!

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:06 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

I haven’t seen the mad scientist recipe, but now I’m curious. The sauce was a mix of ideas I’d seen used in different recipes. It turned out mostly just sweet, needed something more defining for character.

I’m eagerly waiting to see pics of Madpick’s mystery meat when he cuts into it!

Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sinus211 wrote:
I haven’t seen the mad scientist recipe, but now I’m curious. The sauce was a mix of ideas I’d seen used in different recipes. It turned out mostly just sweet, needed something more defining for character.

I’m eagerly waiting to see pics of Madpick’s mystery meat when he cuts into it!

Sorry I should have quoted MP's post about guessing what meat it is.

As pertaining to your post. Mad scientist probably has a video on that too lol

Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:29 am

Just got done assembling a set of meatloafs! God I've been wanting another one for quite a while....
I haven't decided when I'm going to smoke one yet, but the hard messy part is over- it was a good 2.5 hours of making a mess in the kitchen --- cooking it is the easy part :thumbsup2:

Its so easy when you put saran wrap in the pan..... into the fridge for a while and then the freezer - pull them when they are solid and dust them with rub, rewrap and they are ready anytime!

Attachment:
20240420_123009.jpg

Attachment:
20240420_123116.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My 2 propane tanks are empty so tonight's dinner was brought to you by Traeger.

The wind was whipping pretty good around the house. When that happens this smoker struggles to keep the temp above three fiddy.

Tonight was drumsticks slathered in Head Country BBQ sauce. It's a thin sauce so what you see in the picture is half of a bottle. It tastes so good tho.

Skin was just at the crisp level while the meat was still juicy. I prefer how the gas grill gives the skin some char and caramelizes the sugars in the sauce a bit.

But damn, it was so good.

Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 138, 139, 140, 141, 142  Next