Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Ahi Poke 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Blaze.45 wrote:
cmica wrote:
Pablo wrote:
I love poke. Recipe looks good. I add just a little red pepper flake. Kicks it to the next level. You probably know, never add too much soy. Ruins the whole thing, over powering soy, no good.

true and depending on the soy sauce too.

Yamasa soy sauce. kikkoman Kappou Sashimi Soy Sauce not just reg. (salty)

never did like aloha soy

uggghhh stop... just stop. Aloha Shoyu or nothing. Poke is a traditional Hawaiian dish, and Hawaiians take everything about traditional food very personally... use anything but Aloha Shoyu and you're eating sushi. Don't mix it up.

Dave you did good, a little heavy on the sesame seeds but other than that it looks right on.

blaze your right its been a good couple of yrs, I buy the 5 gal bucket and stuck em in 1 gal jugs.... kikkoman is the salty stuff

Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can it really be called a cook book if it’s raw fish? :bigsmile:

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks tasty, Dave! Poke is so versatile - you can prepare it so many different ways. Ahi is my favorite, but marlin and albacore are also very good. My absolute favorite is ahi mixed with sea asparagus (aka sea beans), yellow onion, green onion, red tobiko, sesame oil, sea salt, dried red pepper flakes, inamona, and roasted sesame seeds. :drool:

Just curious - when you say the tuna is "flash frozen", what does that mean, exactly? The store received it fresh from their supplier, then put it in a blast freezer before sticking it out in the case? Or is it a deep frozen product from the get go?

One of the things that's so interesting to me about poke on the US mainland is the way that the tuna is marketed, and the way customers perceive its quality (the two are no doubt related). The perception is that because poke is eaten raw, the grade must be at or near the top, and of course that is the message that the seller will convey. But the reality is that poke is a by-product - it's a way to utilize the left-over bits and pieces, or to make a lower-grade piece more palatable by adding bold flavors to it. Virtually no one in Hawaii cuts high-grade, whole tuna loins into poke cubes; it's just too expensive, and frankly it's somewhat of a waste of the high grade to do it. But here on the mainland, that seems to be the expectation. I doubt many places actually do that, despite what they may claim...but the ones that do will charge for it accordingly ($$$$).

That's not to say poke isn't good - I eat it regularly and sell tens of thousands of pounds of it every month. But it's important to understand what it is you're consuming, especially with raw seafood. I guess what I'm saying is, get to know where your fish comes from and what has been done with it!

Sam Choy buys his tuna from us. He definitely knows what to do with it, too. :thumbsup2:

Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From the Poke' Bar in Kent off 212th:

Spicy tuna, Albacore, Salmon Poke', brown rice, seaweed salad and a side of cucumber salad as well.. Good stuff!

Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

L_O_G wrote:

Spicy tuna, Albacore, Salmon Poke', brown rice, seaweed salad and a side of cucumber salad as well.. Good stuff!

Where's the poke?

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guns4Liberty wrote:
Looks tasty, Dave! Poke is so versatile - you can prepare it so many different ways. Ahi is my favorite, but marlin and albacore are also very good. My absolute favorite is ahi mixed with sea asparagus (aka sea beans), yellow onion, green onion, red tobiko, sesame oil, sea salt, dried red pepper flakes, inamona, and roasted sesame seeds. :drool:

Just curious - when you say the tuna is "flash frozen", what does that mean, exactly? The store received it fresh from their supplier, then put it in a blast freezer before sticking it out in the case? Or is it a deep frozen product from the get go?

One of the things that's so interesting to me about poke on the US mainland is the way that the tuna is marketed, and the way customers perceive its quality (the two are no doubt related). The perception is that because poke is eaten raw, the grade must be at or near the top, and of course that is the message that the seller will convey. But the reality is that poke is a by-product - it's a way to utilize the left-over bits and pieces, or to make a lower-grade piece more palatable by adding bold flavors to it. Virtually no one in Hawaii cuts high-grade, whole tuna loins into poke cubes; it's just too expensive, and frankly it's somewhat of a waste of the high grade to do it. But here on the mainland, that seems to be the expectation. I doubt many places actually do that, despite what they may claim...but the ones that do will charge for it accordingly ($$$$).

That's not to say poke isn't good - I eat it regularly and sell tens of thousands of pounds of it every month. But it's important to understand what it is you're consuming, especially with raw seafood. I guess what I'm saying is, get to know where your fish comes from and what has been done with it!

Sam Choy buys his tuna from us. He definitely knows what to do with it, too. :thumbsup2:

Hi G4L... To be honest I'm new to buying frozen fish :bigsmile: When I was living in Olympia I used to get all my seafood fresh at the Olympia Seafood Company or we would go out to Taylors in Shelton or the Coast for oysters. I just know that we are buying frozen filets. My expectation is they were probably frozen on the boat then transferred that way all the way to our local market.

That's really interesting what you mention about poke in Hawaii coming from the left-over pieces as tuna is processed.

I will have to try some of the ingredients you mention also. Sam Choy's book has about a hundred different recipes also.

Please feel free to send contact info for your company if you sell direct to consumers. Could always use a good source.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
L_O_G wrote:

Where's the poke?

There are three large scoops under the salad.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
L_O_G wrote:

Where's the poke?

It must be hiding under the cukes and seaweed. That is making me hungry, looks good. Planning to head out to local sushi joint today. :drool:

Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

damn log...If i ever get up that way i'd have to check it out

Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:00 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

GeekWithGuns wrote:
Guns4liberty wrote:

Hi G4L... To be honest I'm new to buying frozen fish :bigsmile: When I was living in Olympia I used to get all my seafood fresh at the Olympia Seafood Company or we would go out to Taylors in Shelton or the Coast for oysters. I just know that we are buying frozen filets. My expectation is they were probably frozen on the boat then transferred that way all the way to our local market.

Just going by your photo, it looks like what you bought is a Saku Block. It's a more expensive cut because it is taken from the center of the tuna loin. Processors normally cut as much saku as they can from a loin (to maximize the value), then they use the ends of the loin to cut steaks, and what's left over gets cut into poke cubes or ground into minced meat. If you're going to use frozen tuna to make poke, saku is a solid choice. thumbsup
GeekWithGuns wrote:
Please feel free to send contact info for your company if you sell direct to consumers. Could always use a good source.

We're working on a B2C website now. I'll let you know when it's up and running. I'll be honest, though - the prices will be hard to swallow because the freight is so expensive. You'll get equal or better pricing locally from a retailer who buys at wholesale cost, and you'll be able to see what you're getting before you buy it. I think the direct-to-consumer model is best suited for customers who don't care what it costs and/or can't find what they want locally.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:02 am

Just so you all know, fish that is meant to be eaten raw is processed and flash frozen on the boat.

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:40 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mediumrarechicken wrote:
Just so you all know, fish that is meant to be eaten raw is processed and flash frozen on the boat.
Unfortunately that's not always the case. Most of the Tuna eaten raw in the US is shore processed and gassed to make it look pretty.
If you are buying frozen there is huge variance in quality from plant to plant and even the same plant doesn't always have consistent quality.
The US market tends to get pretty low grades of tuna .... especially frozen. Lots of places don't even allow gas treated tuna to be imported.
Almost all tuna poke is made from pre cut frozen poke cubes. They are pretty cheap so poke tends to yield very high margins ... part of the reason a new poke shop opens every week.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fungunnin wrote:
Mediumrarechicken wrote:
Unfortunately that's not always the case. Most of the Tuna eaten raw in the US is shore processed and gassed to make it look pretty.
If you are buying frozen there is huge variance in quality from plant to plant and even the same plant doesn't always have consistent quality.
The US market tends to get pretty low grades of tuna .... especially frozen. Lots of places don't even allow gas treated tuna to be imported.
Almost all tuna poke is made from pre cut frozen poke cubes. They are pretty cheap so poke tends to yield very high margins ... part of the reason a new poke shop opens every week.

:plusone:
This man speaks the truth. Fish that is eaten raw is often deep frozen for parasite destruction. However, the FDA's requirements for this practice makes an explicit exception for large tuna species (Bluefin, Yellowfin, Bigeye, and Albacore). You're lucky if you can find ahi that has been frozen at sea, but even then it's probably frozen in whole form (gilled and gutted), not portions. It has to be thawed on shore so it can be cut into loins, which are often frozen before being cut into portions by bandsaws, which then makes the final product twice frozen. If the sanitation and temperature control practices are on point, this method can actually yield high quality - higher even than once-frozen, in some cases. Fish quality, of which food safety is a large component, really boils down to handling practices and sanitation, both at sea and on land. In fact, if the handling and sanitation are consistently excellent, the largest driver of quality variance shifts to the fish itself.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:08 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All this talk of Poke' had me feenin' so I went and got a to go order. Firecracker Tuna, regular Tuna and salmon combo...

Yessir!

Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Alright, so did we come to an agreement of where to buy tuna locally for poke? I don't think costco flash freezes their 13.99lb tuna.

Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next