Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:10 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 19  Next
 Sous-vide cooking 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks! I'll head that route instead then, still need to go to the supermarket for thanksgiving stuffs and can pick one up while there.

Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bought a cheap ribeye from Walmart a few days ago, came out amazing.

Yesterday we did Prime Rib instead of turkey and cooked that using the sous vide, and it was absolutely perfect. The only thing that I could have done a little better is at searing it after cooking, would have liked a little better development there.

Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:06 pm

Well done. That is, indeed the tricky part. For my best results, the outside has to be dry. If that means sous-vide a day early, then unbag and allow to air-dry in a rack on the fridge, before a quick rub down with the fat from the bag and into a hot pan or a 500 degree oven, that's the way to go.

Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:22 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Thanks for the detailed explanations and sharing of experience.
I'm going to look into the plastics per Pablo's hesitations. Seems reasonable to choose the plastic with care, and ensure that temperatures are kept well below any leeching or off-gassing or whatever temp level.

Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For those of you not wanting to use plastic I've seen a few recipes that use glass containers. Not sure how that would work. Just use the vacuum bags that are meant to go in boiling water.

Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:36 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

moktor wrote:
NWGunner wrote:
moktor wrote:
Been wanting to try sous-vide for a while now, and finally got around to ordering a device, which arrived today. I'm excited to try it out.

Which one did you get?

I had been saving up Amazon gift cards to by an Anova, but this one popped up in my alerts for the very reasonable price of $48 with decent reviews:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id= ... LC-1122587

If I like it and end up using it I may look to upgrade.

I'm interested in your experience with that cooker... Can you do a review?

Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Says it all:

Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think SV will be awesome for burgers. I can't wait to try mine.
https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recip ... -hamburger

Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just a heads-up. You need an 8" tall pot for the Anova SV gizmo.

Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
Just a heads-up. You need an 8" tall pot for the Anova SV gizmo.

On Amazon, when you looked at the Anova, part way down, there was one of those "things bought together with" blurbs, that listed a container, and lid with a hinge, where you could buy all 3 together...

You don't necessarily need those specific ones, but the pics might give you an idea of what you already have that might be suitable.

Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wen to wally world and got a big plastic cereal container for $7. Not actually cooking anything tonight, just playing around with the phone connection stuff.

Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
moktor wrote:
NWGunner wrote:
moktor wrote:
Been wanting to try sous-vide for a while now, and finally got around to ordering a device, which arrived today. I'm excited to try it out.

Which one did you get?

I had been saving up Amazon gift cards to by an Anova, but this one popped up in my alerts for the very reasonable price of $48 with decent reviews:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id= ... LC-1122587

If I like it and end up using it I may look to upgrade.

Sure! I don't have much to compare it to since I haven't used any other devices, though I did buy my dad the Anova for Christmas, so maybe I can borrow it in the future and compare the two.

As far as the device itself goes, it feels a lot more substantial and higher-quality than I expected for the price. It is quite hefty, and the upper part is a nice soft-textured rubber. It has the ability to change the end cap to point the water output in a different direction if needed.

The clamp worked quite well, I put it in a large stock pot, and they are nice enough to include markings on the device for min & max water levels. I didn't experiment with it, but supposedly if water drops below the min line it will shut off automatically.

The controls are pretty basic. There is a blue thumbwheel that you use to adjust the temperature and time. To set temperature you press the red temperature icon on the left and then find the temp you want in .5 degree increments with the thumbwheel, then press the red temperature icon again, at which point it turns blue. Pressing the red clock icon on the right allows you to set hours, then pressing it again switches to minutes. When you are done, you press the Play button and it turns blue and the device starts doing its thing. It doesn't start counting down the timer until the water reaches the set temperature.

The two times I've used it I've also used a separate instant read thermometer to periodically check the temperature, and so far it has been spot on. The device does a pretty good job at maintaining a constant temperature. Cooking a steak at 130 I briefly saw it spike to 131 for a few seconds once or twice, but for the most part it kept it really close to the set temperature. I havent' seen it spike over 1 degree +/- yet. I'm not sure what the expected accuracy is of it.

According to the instruction manual it does have an option to calibrate the device's thermometer up to +/-9.9 degrees, but I haven't needed to change anything there.

The only issue I ran into is trying to set the timer after you have started it. When first playing around with it, I set it to a temperature and didn't set the timer and pressed 'Go'. After it got up to temperature and seemed to be working as expected, I decided to enter a time. Apparently you can't enter a time when it is running....it looks like it worked, but it doesn't actually start the timer. You need to actually stop the device before you can enter a time for the timer.

All in all I have been very pleased with it at the price ($50) I got it for. I had been wanting an Anova just because of how well it had been reviewed, plus who doesn't like nifty functionality like wifi connectivity, but I work from home, so ultimately something like wifi access to it wouldn't provide too much benefit for me.

I've used it twice so far, once on a 12 oz. ribeye (roughly 2 hours...had issues with the timer as described above), and once on a 4 lb. prime rib (6.5 hours), and both times they were cooked perfectly, and the device chooched along without issue.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:40 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

moktor wrote:
PMB wrote:

Sure! I don't have much to compare it to since I haven't used any other devices, though I did buy my dad the Anova for Christmas, so maybe I can borrow it in the future and compare the two.

As far as the device itself goes, it feels a lot more substantial and higher-quality than I expected for the price. It is quite hefty, and the upper part is a nice soft-textured rubber. It has the ability to change the end cap to point the water output in a different direction if needed.

The clamp worked quite well, I put it in a large stock pot, and they are nice enough to include markings on the device for min & max water levels. I didn't experiment with it, but supposedly if water drops below the min line it will shut off automatically.

The controls are pretty basic. There is a blue thumbwheel that you use to adjust the temperature and time. To set temperature you press the red temperature icon on the left and then find the temp you want in .5 degree increments with the thumbwheel, then press the red temperature icon again, at which point it turns blue. Pressing the red clock icon on the right allows you to set hours, then pressing it again switches to minutes. When you are done, you press the Play button and it turns blue and the device starts doing its thing. It doesn't start counting down the timer until the water reaches the set temperature.

The two times I've used it I've also used a separate instant read thermometer to periodically check the temperature, and so far it has been spot on. The device does a pretty good job at maintaining a constant temperature. Cooking a steak at 130 I briefly saw it spike to 131 for a few seconds once or twice, but for the most part it kept it really close to the set temperature. I havent' seen it spike over 1 degree +/- yet. I'm not sure what the expected accuracy is of it.

According to the instruction manual it does have an option to calibrate the device's thermometer up to +/-9.9 degrees, but I haven't needed to change anything there.

The only issue I ran into is trying to set the timer after you have started it. When first playing around with it, I set it to a temperature and didn't set the timer and pressed 'Go'. After it got up to temperature and seemed to be working as expected, I decided to enter a time. Apparently you can't enter a time when it is running....it looks like it worked, but it doesn't actually start the timer. You need to actually stop the device before you can enter a time for the timer.

All in all I have been very pleased with it at the price ($50) I got it for. I had been wanting an Anova just because of how well it had been reviewed, plus who doesn't like nifty functionality like wifi connectivity, but I work from home, so ultimately something like wifi access to it wouldn't provide too much benefit for me.

I've used it twice so far, once on a 12 oz. ribeye (roughly 2 hours...had issues with the timer as described above), and once on a 4 lb. prime rib (6.5 hours), and both times they were cooked perfectly, and the device chooched along without issue.

I really appreciate that write up. Thank you kindly. Suggesting it to the Missus now. :tiphat:

Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

im not sold on this....

tell me why 2 hrs to do a ribeye when it takes 11-15min on a grill?

6.5 hrs to do a prime rib,

whats a crock pot cant do?? low med, high....set it and forget it. same amount of cooking time and veg too.

can someone do both anova/ crockpot/ grill and show me and tell me the difference

Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:46 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

I just did up three thick pork chops and they turned out awesome.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:24 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 19  Next