Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:32 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next
 Sous-vide cooking 

cmica wrote:
im not sold on this....

tell me why 2 hrs to do a ribeye when it takes 11-15min on a grill?

Well, that's not quite the story - 2 hours for a ribeye is the upper end of it being ready without being overdone. It's ready from half an hour. That's half the point. You *can't* make it go beyond medium if that's what you set the temperature for, and sous-vide allows for precision temperature control and it being very repeatable. But, it also means that your ribeye is ready to sear for an hour and half, so if you're not sure when you need to serve then you've got a massive window of it being ready without it being overdone.

The precision means that if you want medium you get medium. If you want medium-rare, that's what you get. Literally, however you want it cooked, you can do so.

With a crock-pot you don't have the precision, but there are modifications for crock-pots out there to turn them in to sous-vide devices.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My real first try at SV. Pre-seasoned tri-tip steak from Safeway that was already packed in a vacuum sealed bag. It had been sitting in my freezer for a few months. Recipe said 130 for 2 hours, but I think I will bump it up to 135 degrees next time. Seared on the griddle when it was done.

My foodsaver vacuum machine died today, so I will get a new one at Cabela's this week. Not required, but vacuum sealing extends storage both in the fridge, or freezer by a long time.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:49 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

That looks really tasty, Chuck!

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was worried about only controlling it with a cell phone, and having wi-fi available. So I contacted them, and they got back to me VERY fast. It is totally controllable manually as in the campground scenario I was thinking about.
https://support.anovaculinary.com/hc/en ... he-device-

Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:49 pm

Neat. The Joule I have is a smaller device, but it has no method of control aside from the app (or Facebook/Alexa integration). I'm not actually certain whether you can just use Bluetooth, or whether there has to be wifi. I should check.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaMtktnlb4A

Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
My real first try at SV. Pre-seasoned tri-tip steak from Safeway that was already packed in a vacuum sealed bag. It had been sitting in my freezer for a few months. Recipe said 130 for 2 hours, but I think I will bump it up to 135 degrees next time. Seared on the griddle when it was done.

I have the same device, and it works great. Next time cut that meat against the grain. Rookie maneuver.

Cash and Carry has great containers that can hold some water depth if you need.

Anyone into Sous-vied should get these two books:

https://www.amazon.com/Sous-Vide-Home-T ... e+cookbook

https://www.amazon.com/Food-Lab-Cooking ... e+cookbook

Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:49 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Wetpaperbag wrote:
I have the same device, and it works great. Next time cut that meat against the grain. Rookie maneuver.

I have been wondering if would make any difference to insulate the cooking container, haven't seen that done yet. Quicker to hear up, and I wonder if it would keep the temp more even.
The cooker gets ordered today...
I'll use the PID controller for a poultry incubator instead.

Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No fucking way with standard plastic bags

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:31 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Pablo wrote:

Yes, that is my #1 hangup on this, thanks to your reminders.

Still trying to figure that out. Even if we conclude that by buying the proper bags we're good, there is so much counterfeit merchandise floating around that we'd always be wondering.
I'd really like to see some in-depth testing done, with all leaching documented.
Actually, I don't care too much about my intake anymore -I am concerned and careful for the little Balrog.

Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
Pablo wrote:

Yes, that is my #1 hangup on this, thanks to your reminders.

Still trying to figure that out. Even if we conclude that by buying the proper bags we're good, there is so much counterfeit merchandise floating around that we'd always be wondering.
I'd really like to see some in-depth testing done, with all leaching documented.
Actually, I don't care too much about my intake anymore -I am concerned and careful for the little Balrog.

Ditto.

I think the issue with me, there just aren't any studies that I know of. As in ranking of bags available. I know how plastics/plastic bags are made. The plastic itself doesn't scare me.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good article on batch cooking. Basically cooking in sous vide with vacuum bags, and the freeze it for later.
https://anovaculinary.com/batch-cooking ... _us_banner)&goal=0_0315742ebc-3cc8598aec-107940901&mc_cid=3cc8598aec&mc_eid=85cb17d8c3

Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:26 pm

I did some brats and they came out soft, almost like wiesswurst. They were awesome.

Chris, I'll let you borrow mine and you can discover the awesome.

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
Wetpaperbag wrote:

I have been wondering if would make any difference to insulate the cooking container, haven't seen that done yet. Quicker to hear up, and I wonder if it would keep the temp more even.
The cooker gets ordered today...
I'll use the PID controller for a poultry incubator instead.

Amazon has container lids for sous vide, here's just one example:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073S3TKD8/re ... rd_w=X4DP1

There is a 'hack' of sorts...some people use ping pong balls. They like it because they don't have to mess with a lid to adjust the bags, and the condensation on the balls falls back in the water. Here's a google search with a YouTube vid, and articles about it:

http://www.google.com/search?sclient=ta ... dkduiSvB1E

Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:47 pm

I just use plastic wrap. The science says that most of the energy loss is in evaporation, not radiation out of the sides, so anything that stops evaporation, like saran wrap over the top, or ping-pong balls, or a lid made out of polystyrene with a hole cut in for your device, and then wrapped with foil to stop the moisture getting into the foam all work really well.

Amazon does ping-pong balls at 144 for 10 bucks. Mini rubber duckies aren't much more expensive, actually.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next