Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Hickory Smoked Pulled Pork 
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

usrifle wrote:
sinus211 wrote:
That looks outstanding! I like the bear claw shredders too!

Agreed, well done Dan. :thumbsup2: Those shredders are a must have! I usually do multiple butts (don't go there) and your hands wear out shredding.

That's a nicely done Butt Dan, (go ahead and go there) :bigsmile:

Where did you guys get those?

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sinus211 wrote:
usrifle wrote:
sinus211 wrote:
That looks outstanding! I like the bear claw shredders too!

Agreed, well done Dan. :thumbsup2: Those shredders are a must have! I usually do multiple butts (don't go there) and your hands wear out shredding.

That's a nicely done Butt Dan, (go ahead and go there) :bigsmile:

Where did you guys get those?

I just asked the Wife about my set. She didn't remember at first, but then said they must be in the Kitchen somewhere.
No, they aren't.
Kinda like how she asked me where her Potato peeler was today.....( I have been known to procure whatever i need in times of crisis).
Nope, no idea, but she was kind of pissed for a couple hours and was convinced i had must have had something to do with it. Funny, the great Kitchen "Purging" just happened a couple weeks ago.
Huh...

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bear paws, Bear claws, they go by different names. Also, stainless, nylon, etc....

Here's a link to the top sellers on the big seller:

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Bear-Pa ... B003IWI66W

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mmmm, pulled pork, my favorite!

Safeway has them cheap this week. In the same AD that came here with the NewYorks for 4.77$ a lb is pork shoulder Twice? Once for $.97 a lb and another for 2 for 1 deal? Till the 24th

Ill be smoking an 8 lber tomorrow. Alder and Cherry and Maple.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dang I miss having a smoker.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:07 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Old Growth wrote:
Mmmm, pulled pork, my favorite!

Safeway has them cheap this week. In the same AD that came here with the NewYorks for 4.77$ a lb is pork shoulder Twice? Once for $.97 a lb and another for 2 for 1 deal? Till the 24th

Ill be smoking an 8 lber tomorrow. Alder and Cherry and Maple.

I’ll be headed to safeway tomorrow!! That’s CHEAP!

Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:49 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nicely done. Looks great. Those bear paws sure beat using burnt fingers or two forks.

Thought I'd post up a great homemade spice rub in case you might be interested. Pretty easy to make and really adds some great flavor:
http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/meatheads_memphis_dust.html

Pulled pork is relatively forgiving though an injection can help retain moisture during a long cook. I've recently been using the Butcher BBQ Pork Injection with good results. Definitely not required for great Q though.

If you really want to go all in there's also a great primer on homemade bbq sauces:
http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_sauces/index.html

For pulled pork, it's really a Deep Southern regional style of BBQ and I'm partial to the vinegar based Carolina style sauce to help cut through the fattiness of the pork.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:23 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Since I do a brine, I haven't needed to inject. Before I put the piggy in a bath, I lance it deep with skewers, so the brine will penetrate the entire shoulder.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:59 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
Since I do a brine, I haven't needed to inject. Before I put the piggy in a bath, I lance it deep with skewers, so the brine will penetrate the entire shoulder.

That's genius, basically same thing as injection but easier and less messy. Thanks I will try that soon, especially as I'm about out of injection mix.

One similar thing I've been experimenting with recently is use of dry brine for ribs. Basically applying a small amount of salt directly to the meat the night before rather than wet brine.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some really good pork shoulder can be found at a store called Saars Super Saver. And it's even cheaper than the ones I get from Cash and Carry. The last one I bought was turned into about a zillion tamales. I have two more in the freezer awaiting my next project. I might try Dan's method.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jonathan Brown wrote:
Some really good pork shoulder can be found at a store called Saars Super Saver. And it's even cheaper than the ones I get from Cash and Carry. The last one I bought was turned into about a zillion tamales. I have two more in the freezer awaiting my next project. I might try Dan's method.

Did Saars change their meats?
The last time I bought some steaks there was over six years ago.
They were so bad, I haven't been back.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The beef steaks can be average to pretty good, but I have found that the pork is excellent. Especially the chops and shoulders. I did get a 10lb pack of ribeyes last month that were quite good. Had some New Yorks that tended to be a bit chewy. But wherever the pork comes from, it's been good in my experience.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:02 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yup. Here we go again. This is the Safeway deal. Buddy from work bought them for me, I’ll give him one.

Started last night at 11pm @190. Bumped up to 225 this AM and she is in the stall.

Awwwwww yhea.

Also, bed bath and beyond has some pretty heavy duty brine bags for $5 if you don’t have a stock pot big enough to brine 2 shoulders in. Just put the filled bag in a cooler and fill with ice water.

Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:53 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow those look great Dan nice work... I'm also smoking 2 shoulders at the moment. Our local supermarket had a sale at $1.00 per pound sweet.

Started at 3am here Central Time they're around 175 internal right now thinking to crutch them and finish the cook around 275 grill temp... Have never used crutch before on pulled pork though we have company over late afternoon and not wanting to stress whether it takes too long to finish cooking without foil. We'll see how it goes...

Thanks for the tip on the brine bags will have to pick some up just ran out of Butcher's BBQ injection mix last night during prep so next cook I'll try your technique with lancing the roasts followed by wet brine.

Looking at your picture am thinking I need to pick up an extra Maverick so I can measure internal temp on both roasts.

Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:07 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

GeekWithGuns wrote:
Wow those look great Dan nice work... I'm also smoking 2 shoulders at the moment. Our local supermarket had a sale at $1.00 per pound sweet.

Started at 3am here Central Time they're around 175 internal right now thinking to crutch them and finish the cook around 275 grill temp... Have never used crutch before on pulled pork though we have company over late afternoon and not wanting to stress whether it takes too long to finish cooking without foil. We'll see how it goes...

Thanks for the tip on the brine bags will have to pick some up just ran out of Butcher's BBQ injection mix last night during prep so next cook I'll try your technique with lancing the roasts followed by wet brine.

Looking at your picture am thinking I need to pick up an extra Maverick so I can measure internal temp on both roasts.

I'm sitting at 175 on one and 160 on the other, running 230 right now. Crutch may not be a bad idea if you need to push it. You can also bump your smoker up to 250 and you'd be surprised what a few extra degrees can do to continue helping it recover out of the stall.

I'd suggest looking into the Fireboard. I know I am thinking of getting one. Multiple probes, and it will map your cook.

Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:09 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next