Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:29 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Anyone use an Instant Pot or other electric pressure cooker? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wife got one about a month ago and she didn't have the guts to use it. So I decided to put it to use.

First recipe I found online. Red beans and rice. Followed the recipe exactly and ended up being so bland. Beans were cooked well.

Second was a beef stew recipe that I tweaked a bit. I seared the meat for flavor, used thicker carrots than the baby carrots that were in the recipe and I used whatever frozen veggies I had available instead of the corn and peas the recipe stated.

The stew had a tomato taste to it. I prefer a beefy beefy stew.

It called for using a whole can of tomato paste, next time I'll cut back on that and add some beef bullion. The carrots and potatoes were slightly overcooked for my tastes but properley cooked for others. I might play with adding the carrots and potatoes partway into the cooking process.

Overall very good for an hour's time. The beef was cooked perfectly. Super soft and not even close to dry.

Anyone have one of these? Any good recipes?

Studying for my Liberal Arts degree at Evergreen College.

YouTube taught me, just like everybody else.

Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:35 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

We have one.. Wife's the same, scared of it. I have made mac-n-cheese in it, pasta, lots of fucking cheese and a little water... Add panko when done and bam, tasty!

Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:45 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

pressure cookers kick ass. Look up Lorna Sass's recipes. You won't be sorry.

Divided we fall.

Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rita's afraid to use ours as well. I've made some great chow with it.

Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:57 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MD, mac and cheese is on the short list.

OS, will do.

DEG, any favorites?

Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My wife has made a couple things in our Instant Pot. The best one so far was Mongolian beef.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only thing we've done is some Bob's corn on the cobb. Turned out pretty great, but not sure where to go from there either...

Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

os2firefox wrote:
The only thing we've done is some Bob's corn on the cobb. Turned out pretty great, but not sure where to go from there either...

Try pre cooking potatoes for smashing. Faster and healthier than boiling them.

Divided we fall.

Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Brats in beer. Think it was like 7-10 minutes from frozen. Throw some potatoes in too. Finish the brats on the grill just for the marks.

Spaghetti sauce, 8 or 10 minutes.

Black-eyed peas on New Years, just minutes from dry beans in the bag.

Great gadget.

Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:45 pm

I love ours. chili with stew meat comes out tender as hell. I've mostly cooked pork in it. I'll take some pork chops and let them marinate in some Stubbs liquid smoke(It's by far the best liquid smoke)for 45 minutes or so then I'll chop up onion and garlic. Layer the onion then pork then more onion and then pork. The pressure really drives the smoke, onion and garlic flavor in to the meat. Take pork out and dump the rest of the pan into a sauce pan with bbq sauce and Dr pepper, cook that down till it's thick again. It's awesome and really ewsy

Beans are stupid easy. Cuban black beans and rice gets killed like an animal that falls into the Amazon around piranhas

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

stompah wrote:
MD, mac and cheese is on the short list.

OS, will do.

DEG, any favorites?

I've done several roasts in it, some pulled pork. It's an easy meal to make on a Sunday afternoon, ours will do browning in the pot, so I brown the meat (whatever it is), depending on how big it is, put in a bit of water and let go for about 45 minutes or so, then add spuds, carrots, onions, garlic, fresh rosemary, pretty much anything that's not moving faster than me and then let it go another 15 minutes at pressure. Then, depending on how hungry we are, either let it vent pressure naturally, or if we're starving, just open the pressure release valve and stand back. We can usually get 3-4 meals out of one pot for the two of us, and it's good eating that only gets better with time. I also like that you end up with a clear soup instead of a gooey stew (which I like too). We like to have a little bit of cranberry sauce with whatever we make in it (or at least we almost always seem to open a can when we do).

Rita has never once in her life had mac & cheese, so if you've got a good recipe, I'm all ears. I don't think I've ever made it, but I do eat it out in a restaurant occasionally.

Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:39 pm
Profile WWW

We probably eat 4-5 meals a week that are made in our instapot. Mostly stews.

Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

stompah wrote:
Wife got one about a month ago and she didn't have the guts to use it. So I decided to put it to use.

First recipe I found online. Red beans and rice. Followed the recipe exactly and ended up being so bland. Beans were cooked well.

Second was a beef stew recipe that I tweaked a bit. I seared the meat for flavor, used thicker carrots than the baby carrots that were in the recipe and I used whatever frozen veggies I had available instead of the corn and peas the recipe stated.

It called for using a whole can of tomato paste, next time I'll cut back on that and add some beef bullion. The carrots and potatoes were slightly overcooked for my tastes but properley cooked for others. I might play with adding the carrots and potatoes partway into the cooking process.

Overall very good for an hour's time. The beef was cooked perfectly. Super soft and not even close to dry.

You start with red beans, and rice? The only outcome is ........bland.
http://www.powerpressurecooker.com/recipes.php

Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
stompah wrote:

You start with red beans, and rice? The only outcome is ........bland.
http://www.powerpressurecooker.com/recipes.php

I've had good smokey red beans and rice before. Plus I just wanted to spend minimal amount of money to see how it works.

I'll check out that site and see what they got that looks good.

Too bad I'm going out of town for a week or I'd use the instant pot on my days off. I now see why people get addicted to it.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a regular stove top pressure cooker fairly regularly. My wife loved the Costco rotisserie chickens, so whenever she's done with that, I make chicken broth from the carcass. I get about 2 quarts which nearly negates the cost of the chicken.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next