Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:55 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Wood trimming for smokers 

Finally getting settled into the new house and got my new smoker put together. I remember a while back there were some members offering up some trimmings from trees they had (cherry, apple etc) to others for use in their smokers. I was just wondering if any of you all might have a big pile of smokeable (yeah I made that word up) wood that you were looking to downsize?

Im looking to get this thing fired up for the first time and try to figure out how to make something at LEAST edible!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Wed May 10, 2017 10:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd head to Cash and Carry, they bave big bags of lump charcoal that works pretty damn goodfpr like $14. Lazzari is the brand they usually have, I believe, not that it is that important.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Thu May 11, 2017 3:09 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you use "orchard prunings" it's not a bad idea to peel as much of the bark off as you can before cutting up into small pieces. Bark can impart some bitterness to the smoke.

I don't bother with "orchard wood" anymore. I just buy the bags of chips in all kinds of flavors. Apple, Oak, Hickory, Pecan, etc. Between Lowes, Home Depot, and Cabela's I usually find what I need and a bag lasts me a long time.

Another great smoke source is "pellets". Just pick your flavor, buy a bag, and get either the Amaz-N smoker maze 12 hours of thin cool smoke and not need to tend the chip tray.

Cabela's has both the maze and smoker tube on the shelf as a rule. Load with pellets, light one end (or both for more smoke over a shorter time) and sit back and relax. Just make a Tent of Foil or flat sheet metal (an opened up piece of stove pipe works) to keep dripping from meat putting out smoldering pellets.

The pellets burn at just the right rate to provide a light "wispy" smoke rather than a heavy "creosote producing" cloud. Use whatever heat source you have to cook but use the pellets for the smoke flavor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Thu May 11, 2017 8:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jagerbomber35 wrote:
I'd head to Cash and Carry, they bave big bags of lump charcoal that works pretty damn goodfpr like $14. Lazzari is the brand they usually have, I believe, not that it is that important.

This is what I do, their bags last through several smoking sessions for me. I've also found comparable bags at the Monroe Walmart, don't remember the brand. They work pretty well too, plus they frequently have wood chips on sale for dirt cheap. When I find them I buy several bags and just store them in my garage so they stay dry.

Thu May 11, 2017 8:38 am
Profile WWW

Bought some wood chunk at ace to get me started. Having major temp control issues. I was reading to get a long, low temp burn that i should light 10-15 coals, and put them over ~3lbs of unlit coals with some wood chunks.

After about half an hour to 45 minutes the temp had spiked to ~600 according to my oven thermometer that I put on the grate. Almost all the coals were lit already. I closed all the intakes and still the temp wouldnt drop into the 200s. I put a pan of water on the bottom grate and it still took nearly an hour to get back down to temp.

Im wondering if technique or maybe air leaks are my problem

Sat May 13, 2017 1:46 pm

Ps, this is the smoker I have. It definitely leaks smoke from the doors, so it would be safe to assume I also have air leaking in Image

Sat May 13, 2017 1:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Get some oven rope to seal the doors. That will help a lot

Sat May 13, 2017 9:03 pm

hillyard wrote:
Get some oven rope to seal the doors. That will help a lot

A guy at work told me about the some gasket material they sell for the big green egg. Comes in a roll for like $15, so I ordered some of that. Hopefully that will fix up some of those leaks!

I was able to keep the temps low enough for smoking by placing 4 lit coals over about 6 unlit coals and a few pieces of wood in a metal chip tray to keep it from catching too fast.

This took quite a bit of monitoring, but I was able to maintain 200-250 for about 2 hours by adding coals and wood as temps dropped

Wed May 17, 2017 10:05 am

Keep your eyes open on craigslist anfd freecycle for people wanting their yard trees gone. I have the horizontal barrel type so I can grill or smoke and with me being in an area with fruit wood I always have wood for the smoker or cabin. I just smoked 20 pounds of porkloin on appricot wood Monday for a family event tomorrow.....mmmmm yes I just had to have a taste.

Wed May 17, 2017 12:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]