Switch to full style
Let's talk about anything food- or drink-related, whether it be home cooking, bars or restaurants!
Post a reply

Re: Howcome butter doesn't taste much like butter anymore?

Sun May 07, 2017 11:33 pm

Guntrader wrote:No, my butter tastes fine.

So you've snorted so much vicodin that things have gone full circle? :wink05:

Mon May 08, 2017 4:27 am

I got spoiled on European butter, meats, etc. I would expect to hear complaints about our cheese especially. Our cheese is lame compared to Belgian and Holland.
As far as butter goes, I stick with Kerry Gold for now until I can find a way to get real farm butter.
BTW, our milk really sucks here too.

Mon May 08, 2017 6:28 am

Dairy Gold.

Mon May 08, 2017 8:10 am

I keep some heavy whipping cream on hand and make my own butter in 30 seconds just by shaking it in an empty water bottle or container.

Try it, it's like whipped butter at your favorite restaurant...

With heavy whipping cream you can also make your own ice cream or whip cream pretty damn easily if you have a stand mixer.

Mon May 08, 2017 9:52 am

Because milk comes from cows fed not much grass, and a lot of grain.

Cows are fed BGH - bovine growth hormones, to increase milk production massively.

Cows are fed a regimen of antibiotics, to keep crowded pasture populations from getting sick, or passing on illnesses.

Grain is mostly Round Up Ready genetically modified corn.

What feed the cows get is grown on chemical fertilized pasture that is also treated with herbicides and pesticides.

So, there ain't a lot of joy coming out of them cows to turn into butter.

But, hey, girls are six feet tall with 44 double D cups nowadays by the time they hit their teens, so there is that....................

Try cultured European style butter. Sweet to the case, not as much salt in it, but pay for organic, so you don't get the load of crap found in supermarket butter.

Yes, it is expensive, but at least you are eating a real food, instead of corporate death.

Mon May 08, 2017 10:01 am

Guntrader wrote:Buy the good shit.
$8 for 4 pounds.
Great flavor, lasts us for months.

Months :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

That's a 1 month supply for me.

Butter. It makes every thing better. :thumbsup2:

Mon May 08, 2017 10:07 am

Captain90s wrote:
$8 for 4 pounds.

It doesn't make cellulite any better. :bigsmile:

Mon May 08, 2017 10:08 am

Amish butter.

Mon May 08, 2017 11:37 am

Don't know about butter but bananas are a completely different variety now. Thanks to monoculture the usual variety is now extinct.

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/bananas.asp

Mon May 08, 2017 1:02 pm

OhShoot! wrote:
Captain90s wrote:
$8 for 4 pounds.

It doesn't make cellulite any better. :bigsmile:

Knees to chest ass up in the air makes it dissappear. Most of the time

Mon May 08, 2017 1:06 pm

As you age, you produce fewer and fewer "cycles" of fresh taste buds. Your taste buds are refreshed on a continuous cycle but unfortunately like a lot of body parts, the frequency slows down.

On a side note, eliminate butter and buy Ghee (Clarified butter) It's butter with the milk fat drawn out. It's healthier, has more flavor, it doesn't "burn" like butter when heated up and can be left out indefinitely on a counter. It has like twice the taste of butter, because it IS butter without the fat!

Mon May 08, 2017 1:08 pm

sportsdad60 wrote:As you age, you produce fewer and fewer "cycles" of fresh taste buds. Your taste buds are refreshed on a continuous cycle but unfortunately like a lot of body parts, the frequency slows down.

On a side note, eliminate butter and buy Ghee (Clarified butter) It's butter with the milk fat drawn out. It's healthier, has more flavor, it doesn't "burn" like butter when heated up and can be left out indefinitely on a counter. It has like twice the taste of butter, because it IS butter without the fat!

That is what I am leaning toward. (Your entire answer. Including the aging taste buds.)

I have a small bottle of it, and haven't tried it yet. I'll try it today.

Mon May 08, 2017 1:57 pm

Clarifying butter can also be done at home. Heat your butter over low temperature for a long time until the milk fat rises to the surface and collects together. Then either strain through cheesecloth or just skim it off the surface.

Mon May 08, 2017 3:12 pm

Captain90s wrote:Clarifying butter can also be done at home. Heat your butter over low temperature for a long time until the milk fat rises to the surface and collects together. Then either strain through cheesecloth or just skim it off the surface.

I intend to try that, if I like the clarified butter I already have.

Thank you.

Mon May 08, 2017 3:29 pm

Wife has made her own. The downside is, if you leave just a schoch of milkfat in it, it will spoil quicker than store bought ghee and you'll know (smells like a dairy farm when you open the jar)
I'd recommend refridgerating it if you make your own.
Post a reply