Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:18 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Howcome butter doesn't taste much like butter anymore? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When i was a kid I lived in a town that had more dairy cows than people. Butter tasted pretty good then. Turns out that part of the taste was from the salt they put in it to keep it from turning rancid.

Today Salt is bad. Everything has to be low sodium so that means low taste.

I salt when, and as much, as I want and have already outlived a lot of "Health Nuts" that worried about every little thing. I figure I run just as much risk of getting killed as I walk across the street as from a little extra salt in my diet (and red meat, cured pork, etc, etc).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Mon May 08, 2017 4:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deadshot2 wrote:
When i was a kid I lived in a town that had more dairy cows than people. Butter tasted pretty good then. Turns out that part of the taste was from the salt they put in it to keep it from turning rancid.

I salt when, and as much, as I want and have already outlived a lot of "Health Nuts" that worried about every little thing. I figure I run just as much risk of getting killed as I walk across the street as from a little extra salt in my diet (and red meat, cured pork, etc, etc).

How much salt did it take you to keep from turning rancid?

Mon May 08, 2017 4:54 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I'm gonna try some Kerry Gold, heard it's pretty good.
Edit: >$11/lb? Maybe not.

For waffles I prefer cream cheese to butter.

Last edited by Guntrader on Mon May 08, 2017 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 08, 2017 4:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deadshot2 wrote:

I heard somewhere just yesterday that just like they found out that butter is actually good for you, and margarine will kill you... Salt is not the high blood pressure "killer chemical' they thought it was, either!

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Mon May 08, 2017 5:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

probably just dementia.

some small farms do sell raw milk/cream and butter. try duvall or snoho

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Mon May 08, 2017 6:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ops wrote:
probably just dementia.

I rebuke that! :bigsmile:

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Mon May 08, 2017 6:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I dunno about a fresh butter, but the most "buttery" butter I've ever had is the canned stuff from New Zealand.

No butter expert, but the free range stuff means the cows eat GRASS. Grass is what gives the butter that deep gold color, mostly the vitamin A but other vitamins/minerals too. Grain fed cows produce more but the butter is very pale, almost white because, well, grain isn't grass.

It's a bummer that it's the best stuff because it's damn expensive. I suppose that's the way it goes most of the time.

Mon May 08, 2017 6:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sportsdad60 wrote:
Wife has made her own. The downside is, if you leave just a schoch of milkfat in it, it will spoil quicker than store bought ghee and you'll know (smells like a dairy farm when you open the jar)
I'd recommend refridgerating it if you make your own.

Definitely true. I would recommend straining through cheesecloth more than once to make sure all the milk fat is out. Either refrigerate immediately or keep at temperature on the stove to prevent spoiling. Personally I wouldn't recommend clarifying large amounts at once to keep for later, just make enough for whatever project you have going at the moment.

I am free because I say I am. My freedom is not dependent on any government benefit or piece of legislation. My rights are inherent in the fact that I was born a sovereign being. They are non-negotiable. The government can list them and protect them, but my rights are not theirs to give away.

Yolo: Because idiots don't know what "carpe diem" means.

What, do you think I`m an amateur? You think this is Amateur hour? I`m covered in broken glass and hatred. You think someone would want to anger that with a Vz? - Fjordforder

Tue May 09, 2017 6:49 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

your not whipping the "special" sauce right

Tue May 09, 2017 2:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cmica wrote:
your not whipping the "special" sauce right

Are you suggesting switching to nut butter?

Tue May 09, 2017 2:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kerrys butter is nasty on waffles,

sweet cream butter mixed with maple syrup is the best.

only good thing from the irish is whisky

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Tue May 09, 2017 3:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ops wrote:
only good thing from the irish is whisky

Yeah how many Irish restaurants do you see? Denis Leary hit the nail on the head.

Tue May 09, 2017 3:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

os2firefox wrote:
deadshot2 wrote:

How much salt did it take you to keep from turning rancid?

Usually a couple teaspoons to the butter you churned from a gallon of cream. Used to have a gallon jar with a paddle that was turned by a crank on the side. Kind of like a hand mixer modified to fit on the jar lid.

Sometimes a little cheese culture was added to the cream and it was allowed to sit at room temp for a day before churning and washing. Salt was added last.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Wed May 10, 2017 4:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Captain90s wrote:
Guntrader wrote:
Buy the good shit.
$8 for 4 pounds.
Great flavor, lasts us for months.

Months :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

That's a 1 month supply for me.

Butter. It makes every thing better. :thumbsup2:

Shit, we go through a couple of the 4 lb packs from costco per month... It's pretty decent stuff and is reasonably priced. I really like KerryGold, but shit is pretty spendy. It's a treat once in a while. We have an old school churning jar somewhere that I may have to dig out of storage. Was my great-grandmothers. I remember using it as a kid. Would be cool to make some fresh butter for the kiddos to try.

Thu May 11, 2017 8:08 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought some Kerrys Butter two days ago, it was $5 for a brick or whatever it is, and it's not great. I blame this thread.

Challenge butter is much more buttery than this stuff, and its half the price and made with real cream and salt.

NRA Certified RSO
SAF/NRA Life Member

Fri May 12, 2017 10:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next