Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:39 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 No more "Arby's Manufactured Meat Sandwiches" for me 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do like a good meat sandwich. Got tired of paying outrageous prices for the sliced meat in packages or paying outrageous prices for fresh sliced Deli Meats.

After smoking a ham recently and hand slicing it, both for dinner serving and sandwiches, (took me what seemed like forever with uneven slices) I decided that that was enough. A Meat Slicer was in my future.

Here's what ended up coming home with me:

It's a 12" Commercial Grade from Cabela's. Actually wanted a 10" but none in stock. After discounts and using points it ended up costing less than the 10".

Sliced up a fresh piece of roast beef and I can cut it thin enough to see through it if I want :bigsmile: 10 minutes and I have sandwich meat that is nothing like what Arby's serves, or for that matter, the last Deli Meat I got.

New project is Bacon. Lots of Bacon. Regular Bacon and English Bacon.

Kind of big but I seem to be the main "meat cooker/smoker" for the family so big pieces of meat seem to be consumed in no time at all :bigsmile:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Wed May 03, 2017 9:41 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

One of these slicers has been on my "want" list for awhile... I'm looking forward to hearing about how it is to use, quality, and maybe some pics of the sammiches. :thumbsup2:

Wed May 03, 2017 9:58 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

When I was younger working in a restaurant, I remember slicing a nice chunk or arm of on one of those... Make sure you reset the depth before reaching across.

Wed May 03, 2017 10:03 am
Profile WWW
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

That one looks pretty nice. Which model is it?
I've tried some of the slicers (up to $179 on sale) from Cabelas and Costco but ended up returning them.
I'd like a commercial Hobart but for how little I'd use it, not worth the real estate.

Wed May 03, 2017 10:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Im so jelly right meow! A couple friends and I are will be going in on one as we all hunt and process game together. Plus I cook and have catered all their weddings, so it will probably live with me.

Word of warning, clean, clean clean! Meat slicers are usually the biggest offenders in a kitchen when it comes to bacteria and making people sick.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Wed May 03, 2017 10:08 am

I want a meat slicer, Italian deli meats are dirt cheap at business costco

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Wed May 03, 2017 10:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A guy at a place I used to work had a professional one.
He cooked some meat up, sliced it and gave us all a small sandwich each.
Sooooo good.
It was sliced almost as thin as paper. Seemed better that way. Juicier?
I dunno, just good!

Wed May 03, 2017 10:38 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I tried a couple slicers just for the $5.49/lb prosciutto at business Costco.
The cheaper ones just can't cut it thin and uniform.

Last edited by Guntrader on Wed May 03, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 03, 2017 10:39 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://bandpequipment.com/
and this one. (no web site)
Quote:
A1 Restaurant Supply, Inc
Restaurant supply store in Federal Way, Washington
Address: 32900 Pacific Hwy S, Federal Way, WA 98003
Phone: (253) 815-8949
Hours: Open today · 8AM–5PM

These places carry top line commercial equipment, although used usually from restaurants that went under.

Wed May 03, 2017 10:52 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jagerbomber35 wrote:
Word of warning, clean, clean clean! Meat slicers are usually the biggest offenders in a kitchen when it comes to bacteria and making people sick.
Massivedesign wrote:
When I was younger working in a restaurant, I remember slicing a nice chunk or arm of on one of those... Make sure you reset the depth before reaching across.

Both of these statements are 100% true. Commercial meat slicers are one of the most common sources of injuries outside of mandolins. They are also incredibly prone to trapping bacteria if not cleaned regularly and thoroughly.

But congrats on your purchase!

I am free because I say I am. My freedom is not dependent on any government benefit or piece of legislation. My rights are inherent in the fact that I was born a sovereign being. They are non-negotiable. The government can list them and protect them, but my rights are not theirs to give away.

Yolo: Because idiots don't know what "carpe diem" means.

What, do you think I`m an amateur? You think this is Amateur hour? I`m covered in broken glass and hatred. You think someone would want to anger that with a Vz? - Fjordforder

Wed May 03, 2017 12:46 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
One of these slicers has been on my "want" list for awhile... I'm looking forward to hearing about how it is to use, quality, and maybe some pics of the sammiches. :thumbsup2:

Ask and ye shall receive. This is my idea of a "Quarter Pounder". Exactly 4 oz. of Beef.

Last time I got one of these at Arby's, it was on a cheap bun/roll, had "molded Beef" and cost me $5-$6. I can make 16 of these from the roast I cooked and it won't take long make up for the cost of the slicer. Even if I don't, at least I get to eat REAL meat :bigsmile:

Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Wed May 03, 2017 3:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Captain90s wrote:
Jagerbomber35 wrote:
Massivedesign wrote:

Both of these statements are 100% true. Commercial meat slicers are one of the most common sources of injuries outside of mandolins. They are also incredibly prone to trapping bacteria if not cleaned regularly and thoroughly.

But congrats on your purchase!

As for safety, I have to admit that this is a pretty well made unit. Only way one can come in contact with the blade is to not reset thickness to zero. The rest of the blade has a solid guard around it.

As for keeping it clean, absolutely. It does take a little work but well worth it. I'll be cutting in "batches" then vacuum sealing different sized packages so I don't have to fire it up just for a sandwich. After cleaning up all the scraps I spray it down with a good sanitizer, wipe it clean, and then follow with a wet paper towel (the rinse). One does want to be very careful when removing the blade. The manufacturer recommends some "cut resistant" gloves when handling the blade.

As for Model/Price, It's just a "Cabela's Commercial Grade 12" Meat Slicer" No real model number anywhere on the package. It's belt driven like a Hobart, has an aluminum "carriage", plastic shield to cover the cutting part of the blade as the carriage is pushed in. and has a "shelf price" of $450. The blade edge is smooth and hardened like the Hobart not serrated like the cheapies. Blade is belt driven, not gear driven, again like the cheapies.

Come Thanksgiving time I think I'll take it along to my Daughters. I always have to carve the turkey and this year I'll just remove the breasts and slice 'em with this.

FWIW, if one slices meat thin for sandwiches, even a tough old piece of beef cut from the ass of a bull can be tender (not sure about taste though). The "strands" are nice and shot and the meat tends to fall apart when you bite it. On that note, if you get one, put a piece of cardboard at the far end as a "wall shield". When cutting thin I found that small bits of meat were thrown off the blade. The blade spins at 400+ RPM and some of the edge pieces fall off the slice and the blade slings them off on the far end. No big deal to clean as they just wipe away with a paper towel but putting something there to catch them makes cleanup easier.

I shopped around and found some for about $100 cheaper on Amazon (from "Third Parties"} but in general the reviews sucked.

It does NOT do a good job of soft cheeses. If you do want to cut cheese, make sure it's a harder type cheese and also cold. Also, for slicing meat for Jerky, they say it's best to have the meat "almost frozen".

Damn, why didn't I get one of these earlier :bigsmile:

Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Wed May 03, 2017 3:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations on the family addition. That is awesome. Enjoy!!

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Wed May 03, 2017 4:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AR15L wrote:
http://bandpequipment.com/
and this one. (no web site)
Quote:
A1 Restaurant Supply, Inc
Restaurant supply store in Federal Way, Washington
Address: 32900 Pacific Hwy S, Federal Way, WA 98003
Phone: (253) 815-8949
Hours: Open today · 8AM–5PM

These places carry top line commercial equipment, although used usually from restaurants that went under.

BP looks good, never been there....

As for A1, ever since they moved from being next to cash & carry, to the new spot, they are 1/10th the size, and carry mostly cheap Chinese restaurant supplies, with just a few commercial restaurant items strewn around.

Also, not sure how much longer they'll be there, as when I was leaving a couple of weeks ago, the guy was sitting down with a credit company he owed a bunch of money to.....

Wed May 03, 2017 9:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guntrader wrote:
That one looks pretty nice. Which model is it?
I've tried some of the slicers (up to $179 on sale) from Cabelas and Costco but ended up returning them.
I'd like a commercial Hobart but for how little I'd use it, not worth the real estate.

Exactly right on low, and even moderately priced slicers.

Did a ton of research awhile back, and you really have to spend to get a decent one. They even make the less expensive ones harder to clean, to get you to buy "up"....

And many folks cut themselves cleaning it, not just using it icon_eek

Wed May 03, 2017 9:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next