Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:46 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Electric smokers compared 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are there any advantages to having a glass door vs no glass?
Seems like a waste of money IMO.
$177.64

$198.00

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:04 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Electric smokers produce so much smoke I wouldn't bother. Trust your thermometer, trust your meat.

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:13 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is a waste of money. The disadvantage to a glass insert in the door is that it will get smoked up pretty quick and its probably going to be a royal pain in the ass to clean. Mine doesn't have any glass, Its not necessary.

Spoiler: show
"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper
1997 The Art of the Rifle Page 1.

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jdhbulseye wrote:
It is a waste of money. The disadvantage to a glass insert in the door is that it will get smoked up pretty quick and its probably going to be a royal pain in the ass to clean. Mine doesn't have any glass, Its not necessary.

waste of money is right,

pain to clean :facepalm2: hows it any different than a fireplace?? windex and newspaper

Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cmica wrote:
jdhbulseye wrote:

waste of money is right,

pain to clean :facepalm2: hows it any different than a fireplace?? windex and newspaper

If your fireplace smokes as much as a smoker you have some fucking problems. That glass in the smoker will look like shit in short order prompting a cleaning more frequently, therefore a pain in the ass.

"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper
1997 The Art of the Rifle Page 1.

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Last edited by jdhbulseye on Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I kinda thought it would be a waste.
Looks purdy in the store when it's all clean, though.

I'm getting close to purchase time. :bigsmile:

Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do my smoking on a kamado charcoal grill, no windows :bigsmile: I think Dan is spot on, no window needed. Just trust your thermometer and let the grill and meat temp be your guide. No need to peek through a window or otherwise.

Good luck with the purchase and happy smoking.

We are trying to decide here for tomorrow between chili con carne in the kitchen or beef back ribs smoking on the grill.

Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you're looking, you ain't cooking!

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:01 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tomorrow is pork chops in the rec-tec and mozzarella in the bradley!

Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:19 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
Electric smokers produce so much smoke I wouldn't bother. Trust your thermometer, trust your meat.

When I was younger I trusted it to get me in trouble. As I got older it started letting me down :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

A window on a smoker is like a 150 MPH speedometer in a Geo Metro-------totally worthless. The only time you'll be able to see through it is when you take it out of the box. Most instructions say to "season" your smoker by running at a high temp with or without wood in the pan. Even without wood enough manufacturing "product" burns off to coat the glass.

A word of caution with most smokers that include meat probes with digital thermometers, they may or may not stay accurate. Do yourself a favor and add a Maverick two probe wireless thermometer to your "kit".

If you only have one piece of meat in the smoker the second probe works great as a temperature monitor. If two pieces of unequal size, probe both so you can "rescue" the smaller piece of meat before it's cremated.

The wireless thermometer is a better investment than a glass door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:40 am

Electric? Wut in tarnation?? Hahah, I went charcoal myself, but I don't see any need for a window. A thermometer on the door, and a timer will tell you when your food is done. Smoked food tends to "look" just like it's done for up to an hour before you actually want to pull it out

Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is what I use. And you could get 2 of them for the prices you're looking at.

http://www.hayneedle.com/product/char-b ... d=CHB105-1

Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Links to pictured smokers?

Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jeffro wrote:
This is what I use. And you could get 2 of them for the prices you're looking at.

http://www.hayneedle.com/product/char-b ... d=CHB105-1

Ever used one of these offset firebox units for an all day smoke?

I have one and it's an all day task keeping it fired up properly so the temperature doesn't swing from ambient to 350 degrees during the cook/smoke.

The ones the OP is looking at are electric and do a fantastic job of temperature control. If you don't need a ton of moisture in the cabinet just fill the water pan with play sand and the temp regulation is even better.

I now just use my offset firebox cooker for meats that don't take all day to cook. I also use a mix of lump charcoal and wood (whatever flavor I like that day)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No glass.

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next