Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:18 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 I can't cook... 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I decided to make dinner for my girlfriend for the first time last night. I don't cook very well, but it was just Pork chops, who could ruin that?
First I scorched the vermicelli...and then the Pyrex dish I was using to bake the chops decides to explode in the oven. WTF...over! The oven was at 425, and it was right at the 25 min mark. How in the hell does that even happen?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pork Chops can be easily ruined. There is minimal wiggle room between being cooked perfectly, and being overcooked and dry.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:16 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Moved to WaGrubs . . . but it was a tough call between that and "Services Needed."

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Moved to WaGrubs . . . but it was a tough call between that and "Services Needed."

:rofl9: :ROFLMAO: :rofl9:

Admin dick move was successful.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:59 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Smoke the pork chops. That fine line of done/overcooked becomes a wide margin.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RockHopper wrote:
I decided to make dinner for my girlfriend for the first time last night. I don't cook very well, but it was just Pork chops, who could ruin that?
First I scorched the vermicelli...and then the Pyrex dish I was using to bake the chops decides to explode in the oven. WTF...over! The oven was at 425, and it was right at the 25 min mark. How in the hell does that even happen?

Because most modern Pyrex dishes are actually common tempered soda lime glass instead of the superior (and expensive) borosilicate glass which is what Pyrex originally was. The tradename was licensed out a few years back I believe and the license holder has been selling shitty soda lime glass to improve profit.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Today there are some really good Frozen Entree's that one can merely put in the oven and have ready in an hour or so.
Some ready made deli sides and you're good to go. Just make sure the plastic containers are disposed of in advance.

Do a good job of disquising things and who'll know. :bigsmile:

Lots of wine before dinner can help too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:31 am

You just need to learn temperature control. When you cook those boxed pasta things you need to turn the stove down to 3 or under generally, and stir every couple of minutes. Here is a stupid easy recipe I came up with that you can try.

Garlic lemon children and pesto

2 chicken titties sliced like teriyaki chciken
2 or 3 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 a lemon
Olive oil
Salt and pepper

Prep all your food the. Boil your water for your pasta. When you throw the pasta in set the timer for the proper time the box says, Grab a frying pan and set the stove to 5 Add 3 tablespoons of oil to frying pan, throw in your garlic cook it down for 2 minutes moving the garlic often. Add your chicken and salt and pepper, when that's almost cooked through add the juice from the lemon. THIS PART IS REALLY IMPORTANT, don't add too much lemon, too much and it's ruined, but the right amount makes it great I'd start with a couple of squeezes and taste it, then if you want more do little squirts till it's tangy enough. Pull off the heat. Drain your pasta add pesto sauce to your liking. Plate the pasta then top with the chicken drizzle the oil from the pan on top and add grated parmeasn.

I tried to get the timing in there for you but might have made it sound complicated. It really isn't if you have everything out and cut up before you start. Maybe have the old lady cook the pasta so you can just focus on the chicken.

There is an "Italian salsa" that you can put on top of the chicken too. Just chop up a 1/4 or a red onion or a whole shallot a couple Roma tomatoes and 4 basil leaves. Cut everything up small and drizzle in a touch of extra Virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.

Cooking is really easy when you figure out the basics. Just don't turn the heat up too high on the chicken and it will come out tender and you don't have to worry about burning it.

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I concur with MRC. 425 is way too high for pork in the oven. As stated before, pork has a razor thin line between "perfect" and "fucking ruined".

As to the pyrex, I stopped using it for the exact reason that KF7 gave. Metal may make things stick to it ocassionally, but that can be easily solved with the application of a little butter or (BARF) non-stick spray. Or just a lining of tin foil.

I am free because I say I am. My freedom is not dependent on any government benefit or piece of legislation. My rights are inherent in the fact that I was born a sovereign being. They are non-negotiable. The government can list them and protect them, but my rights are not theirs to give away.

Yolo: Because idiots don't know what "carpe diem" means.

What, do you think I`m an amateur? You think this is Amateur hour? I`m covered in broken glass and hatred. You think someone would want to anger that with a Vz? - Fjordforder

Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:16 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Captain90s wrote:
Or just a lining of tin foil.

Being the lazy bastard I am, this is the way to go. No more soaking a baking dish for a week and trying to get burned on food off.

Non-Stick Foil is my friend. :bigsmile:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:39 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Start watching Good Eats on the cooking channel. Alton Brown breaks it down so that if you pay attention you can make some good stuff.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you tell yourself you can't do something. .....

First of all cook for yourself, no pressure as you learn. Easy things first. Follow recipes word for word. Start varying when you know what and how it will change the finished product.......it will take time. Alton Brown is good with the why part.

Oh and now you know why we go to some old crusty garage sales and buy glassware and cast iron.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You guys cook meat in that big open space under the burners, where cakes and cookies come from? icon_eek
Pan fry those chops, if there is no grill or smoker :bigsmile:

Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Raygun74 wrote:
You guys cook meat in that big open space under the burners, where cakes and cookies come from? icon_eek
Pan fry those chops, if there is no grill or smoker :bigsmile:

Normally I'd agree. There is however a couple acceptable ways to bake them.
Put about a 1/4 lf vinegar in the bottom of the pan. Nice and tangy, and stays very moist and tender.
Coat top of chop with mayo. Plays sliced mushrooms and/or other vegg, sprinkle cheese. Bake.
Use cream of something soup. Make a this sauce. Add mushrooms, peppers, etc, place chops in misture. Cover, bake.

Thank me after trying these.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

just crock pot the bitch...it will fall apart when done :bigsmile:

Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next