Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:32 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Crap, I started smoking again... 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cool. Maybe we can find someone to mule some of my BBQ sauce and rub from Canada to Mexico next time I make a batch. My rub is great on Chicken and Pork( I even have a friend that gets it from me and puts it on popcorn) and my BBQ sauce is a honey Chipolte BBQ that is slightly sweet but has just a hint of heat to it.

It was a Night Op in the library with an AK Pistol by TW...

Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:15 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

lionhrt wrote:
Cool. Maybe we can find someone to mule some of my BBQ sauce and rub from Canada to Mexico next time I make a batch. My rub is great on Chicken and Pork( I even have a friend that gets it from me and puts it on popcorn) and my BBQ sauce is a honey Chipolte BBQ that is slightly sweet but has just a hint of heat to it.

icon_eek icon_eek icon_eek :prettyeyes: Can I send you PayPal and a mailing address? thumbsup

Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:21 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey if you want to try some amazing rub, try some oakridge BBQ rubs. I used their black ops brisket run and it was ammmmaaaazzzziinngggg!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:39 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Go to Stewart's and pick up some buffalo ribs.

He who does not punish evil commands it to be done. --- Leonardo DaVinci

When its time to go in:
That place of steel and stone. I pray that you will keep me safe, so I will not walk alone. Help me to do my duty, please watch me on my rounds.
Amongst those perilous places and slamming steel door sounds. God, keep my fellow Officers well and free from harm. Let them know I'll be there too, whenever there's alarm.
Above all when I walk my beat, no matter where I roam. Let me go back whence I came, to family and home

Author unknown.

Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mr. Q wrote:
Hey if you want to try some amazing rub, try some oakridge BBQ rubs. I used their black ops brisket run and it was ammmmaaaazzzziinngggg!!!!

:plusone: Can't go wrong with Oakridge. Have some of their Santa Maria seasoning and The Crucible ghost pepper chile rub. Next up want to try their Carne Crosta steak rub..

Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

delliottg wrote:
Massivedesign wrote:
delliottg wrote:
MadPick wrote:
Pork ribs seems like the right answer.

Agreed, can't easily go wrong.

Me love pork ribs! Off to costco this week to grab a few racks!

Don't forget Cash & Carry, they've got good deals on ribs as well, and more choices than Costco.

Was going to say just that. Was in there shopping a couple days before Christmas and they had a huge selection of ribs.

And some massive briskets.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fwiw, Costco is selling prime brisket at $2.69/lb, and that's an unbeatable price for the quality of beef. Last I checked, cash and carry is seeking their brisket at $2.79/lb for choice beef.

Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mr. Q wrote:
Fwiw, Costco is selling prime brisket at $2.69/lb, and that's an unbeatable price for the quality of beef. Last I checked, cash and carry is seeking their brisket at $2.79/lb for choice beef.

After 13-14 hours in a smoker, choice is just super tender and slices as nicely as Prime. Got to admit that Costco's price is super good but I find that sometimes the cheaper beef has a better flavor after a long and slow cook. Prime is great for grilled steaks or oven cooked roasts but for some reason USDA Choice works really great for the smoker.

That's just my preference.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Santa (GF) got me an electric smoker for Christmas too. I'm seasoning it as we speak.
I'm a total newb but the GF loves smoked brisket so here we go.

Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also, rookie question, some websites say dry chips, some say soaked in water, what day you pros?
Do I need to put water in the water pan?

Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:59 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Soak those chips, otherwise they just burn up fast. Yes, fill the water pan.
Now fir that bad boy up! :thumbsup2:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:33 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mine are those Brisquettes, with the autofeeder. The instructions say to replace the water every 2 hours, but what happened to "If you're lookin', you're not cookin"? It's okay to open her up every 2 hours and replace the water?

Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:37 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
Mine are those Brisquettes, with the autofeeder. The instructions say to replace the water every 2 hours, but what happened to "If you're lookin', you're not cookin"? It's okay to open her up every 2 hours and replace the water?

I don't know about an electric smoker, but I try very hard to only open my grill smoker more than about twice the entire time I'm smoking. Once to place the meat on the grill, another time to do a mid-smoke rotation, and then I just watch the temperature on my two thermocouples and wait for the meat to get to the right temp.

My water catcher is thrashed (it's just a POS piece of heavy duty aluminum lid from a Cash & Carry serving tray). I didn't bother with any liquid this past weekend with the turkey breast, and it turned out great. Plus I was smoking at a higher temp than I normally do, so it finished almost an hour before I expected it to.

I'd expect that opening every two hours would be fine, but I'll wait for the electric smoker guys to weigh in.

Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:46 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:

Some of the "Smoker Pro's" now don't bother with water in the pan at all. Some use "play sand" (washed) in the pan just to hold heat and smooth out the temperature spikes that often occur when the heating element comes on.

If you're smoking in a closed box with limited air circulation, and your meat has been well brined and/or injected, that extra steam isn't really necessary. Again from reading the "experts", many will also suggest that when the meat has been taken out of the brine, let it air dry in the refrigerator to form the "pellicle".

Quote:
Before cured foods are smoked, they should be allowed to air-dry long enough to form a tacky skin, known as a pellicle. The pellicle plays a key role in producing excellent smoked items. It acts as a kind of protective barrier for the food, and also plays an important role in capturing the smoke's flavor and color.

This "barrier" also helps seal in moisture so all the steam is probably not that necessary, depending on who you ask I guess.

I will say that when I was a kid, and farmers all around me were using old wood stoves to make smoke for their outhouses they converted into smoke houses, nobody bothered with a water tray. Just soaked in brine and then kept the smoke going until meat was cured. In those days it was "Smoking", not "Cooking". :bigsmile:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did a pork shoulder for Christmas eve and it came out fantastic. Rubbed it up the night before, let it sit in the rub over night, then next day put it in, and 13 hours later it was money. I prefer bone in, so I go Western Meats. I've only seen boneless at Cash and Carry, and I wasn't a fan of how the meat cooked. But I'm thinking of giving it another try in the future. I make my rub from scratch, and I like to use jalapeno powder in the rub. Gives it a real nice heat.

Not too long and you'll be makin bacon!

Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next