Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:18 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 DIY bacon 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So I'm getting ready to make my own bacon here in a day or two. Picked out a pork belly at Costco today, have ingredients to make a cure rub. Even though I've you tubed the process they don't always tell you everything
Anyone here who has done it have any tips, tricks, things to watch for, or don'ts? The one thing I haven't decided to smoke horizontal or vertical on a hook.

Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:39 pm

I've never noticed pork belly at Costco, what's it cost per lb? Thesmokering.com has all the info you seek. I've done it once it was easy. It doesn't matter how you put it in your smoker.

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mediumrarechicken wrote:
I've never noticed pork belly at Costco, what's it cost per lb? Thesmokering.com has all the info you seek. I've done it once it was easy. It doesn't matter how you put it in your smoker.

$2.68 per pound, and the bellies ranged from 8-10 pounds. It's a pretty good size. Mine was about 8.8lbs and it was $23. I plan on smoking mine in 2 or 4 pound sections.

Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mediumrarechicken wrote:

Don't know about Puyallup, but the one in Federal Way carries it often, and had it Friday.

Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:17 pm

Well looks like I'm making some bacon

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You say you've gathered stuff to make a "Rub"? Just remember that bacon is soaked for a considerable time in brine before smoking and that brine needs to be made with Cure #1 also known as Pink Salt or Prague #1 Cure, etc (not the Himilayan Pink Salt).

If you don't use the "Cure" (which is salt with "saltpeter" added) all your making is "Salt Pork".

The real work is done with the brine and depending on the thickness of the meat it can take from 3-7 days for small pieces to as much as a month for big stuff like hams. Two weeks for most pork belly's.

Yes, you can inject them but then you aren't really taking full advantage of the curing process. The smoking is just the final touch with the real work taking place while sitting in brine while refrigerated. You can alter the formula of your brine to create new taste but don't leave out the Cure #1 if you want REAL bacon that doesn't have "gray" parts to it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've made bacon before using this tutorial as a walk through, and it's turned out amazing each time. It's buckboard bacon though and not traditional pork belly, but I'm assuming the same rules and methods apply.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/129042/buck-board-bacon-by-sqwib-photo-overload

Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:42 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Moved to WaGrubs so I can find this easily when I get my smoker!

Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:50 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

prq9218 wrote:
I've made bacon before using this tutorial as a walk through, and it's turned out amazing each time. It's buckboard bacon though and not traditional pork belly, but I'm assuming the same rules and methods apply.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/129042/buck-board-bacon-by-sqwib-photo-overload

Just a note, the "Morton's Tenderquick" they call for in the recipe contains the Cure #1 that I referred to in an earlier post.

Buckboard Bacon, Bacon Bacon, Back Bacon (Canadian Bacon), all is good.

If one makes a lot of bacon it might be a good idea to invest in a meat slicer. They come in handy when smoking Brisket, pork loin, etc. Nice even slices at exactly the right thickness for meals or sandwiches.

Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:06 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

The problem with meat slicers: The ones that work well are big, heavy, and expensive.
I've returned several sub $300 models as they didn't slice evenly or cut prosciutto thin enough.
The ones you see at the Safeway deli cost about $5,000.

Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:16 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guntrader wrote:
The problem with meat slicers: The ones that work well are big, heavy, and expensive.
I've returned several sub $300 models as they didn't slice evenly or cut prosciutto thin enough.

Check out the "used" market. Even if it's a little older, they work great with a sharp blade.

FWIW, if slicing with a lesser slicer, try keeping the meat a little colder, down to almost frozen. It's firmer and the blade doesn't need to go as fast to get that thinner cut.

Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have not tried it yet myself but thinking of trying some pretty soon. I was reading this article the other day:
http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/making_bacon_from_scratch.html

Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:08 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

My problem is, I like prosciutto but don't want to pay $20+ a pound.
Lynnwood Business Costco has whole hams for $6.59/lb. BUT, they don't have facilities to slice it (they used to, but closed the butcher department).
Illegal under WA state law to take it to the regular Costco or any other store to have it sliced, or so everyone tells me.
I've seen used commercial Hobart slicers at decent prices, but they are huge and I'd probably only use it 2-3 times a month.
I don't think freezing prosciutto would help much because it's pretty hard to start with.
Maybe I need top find a girl friend who owns a deli.

Probably just as well. If I had unlimited access to cheap prosciutto my sodium level would be off the charts.

deadshot2 wrote:

Check out the "used" market. Even if it's a little older, they work great with a sharp blade.

FWIW, if slicing with a lesser slicer, try keeping the meat a little colder, down to almost frozen. It's firmer and the blade doesn't need to go as fast to get that thinner cut.

Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guntrader wrote:

EXACTLY! :yes:

Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This thread is making me get all gabagool

Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next