Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 4:07 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 32  Next
 Cookin' with Cap'n 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kill the wabbit...

I am free because I say I am. My freedom is not dependent on any government benefit or piece of legislation. My rights are inherent in the fact that I was born a sovereign being. They are non-negotiable. The government can list them and protect them, but my rights are not theirs to give away.

Yolo: Because idiots don't know what "carpe diem" means.

What, do you think I`m an amateur? You think this is Amateur hour? I`m covered in broken glass and hatred. You think someone would want to anger that with a Vz? - Fjordforder

Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:16 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Presentation platters! First one is mine and my teammate's.

And here's a breakdown of our platter.

Lavash flatbread with piped goat cheese, caramelized onion balsamic spread, and a piece of the bacon we made earlier in class.

Red pepper mousseline in a cucumber cup.

Lamb Terrine, made with citrus zest, pistachio nuts, and wrapped in chard.

Rabbit Roulade, with carrot and rabbit loin internal garnishes, wrapped in caul fat.

Beet Salad with a light vinaigrette.

This class has been insanely focused, mentally draining. Tomorrow, we have our written final and a deep cleaning of the kitchen, then I have almost an entire month off school. Very much looking forward to it.

I am free because I say I am. My freedom is not dependent on any government benefit or piece of legislation. My rights are inherent in the fact that I was born a sovereign being. They are non-negotiable. The government can list them and protect them, but my rights are not theirs to give away.

What, do you think I`m an amateur? You think this is Amateur hour? I`m covered in broken glass and hatred. You think someone would want to anger that with a Vz? - Fjordforder

Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:49 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, I'm a fat kid that likes to cook. I also watch a lot of cooking shows. How the fhci is sliced beats and sprouts with a vinegraitte, a salad? Is there a certain definition for salad, or is ir anything you want to call it?

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tell us you used the piped goat cheese just for the boys here.

What is the triangular unit? I'm all over that and the rabbit and other wrapped meaty patés. Hungry.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jagerbomber35 wrote:
So, I'm a fat kid that likes to cook. I also watch a lot of cooking shows. How the fhci is sliced beats and sprouts with a vinegraitte, a salad? Is there a certain definition for salad, or is ir anything you want to call it?

Our assignment was to make an hors d'ouevres platter in the competition style. For food competitions like this "salad" just means a solely vegetable component. Often there isn't even a dressing involved. My partner and I completely forgot about this component, actually, and tossed it together at the last second.
Pablo wrote:
Tell us you used the piped goat cheese just for the boys here.

What is the triangular unit? I'm all over that and the rabbit and other wrapped meaty patés. Hungry.

The triangle is pork with various nuts and seeds in it (not sure what all of it is). Damn good, I took some home.

Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:08 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You have some nice skills.

I live for many years never seeing a paté, never tasting one - so I made one. TASTY!

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This has been a fun read, Cap'n! Hope you did well in class!

I just learned a few days ago that a parent of a kid in my daughter's daycare is a teacher a Le Cordon Bleu culinary school. One day I'd love to take a class like this. But it's a little hardcore for me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Two new menu items at Tipsy Cow, both locations.

First up is the Game On burger, an elk/chorizo patty with chipotle aioli, lettuce, tomato, yellow cheddar (though I think it tastes better with jack cheese, personally), and an onion/cilantro slaw with lime juice. This shit is AMAZING.

Next is 12th Man Fries. These are basically nacho fries. Cheddar and Jack cheese on the fries with bacon, green onions, jalapenos, and creme fraiche (which is basically sour cream).

Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:49 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, Cap'n, who's your menu developer? That's pretty smart, lean, low fat elk, with high-fat, big flavor chorizo? Very smart. Somebody's paying attention to food trends..

Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:
Wow, Cap'n, who's your menu developer? That's pretty smart, lean, low fat elk, with high-fat, big flavor chorizo? Very smart. Somebody's paying attention to food trends..

Menu is done by collaboration of the Exec chef (Ian West) and the sous-chefs. Not sure who's directly responsible for this creation, but smart money is on either Ian, or his brother Ben. Paying attention to food trends is the name of the game :thumbsup2:

Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:50 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Today I began the Capstone and Extern/Intern classes. Extern is basically just me going to work as normal, but logging the hours and giving reports to the school (as well as reports from my supervisors). Capstone is the big one, the "final project" of my culinary education. I'll be planning, costing, ordering, preparing and serving a three course banquet luncheon to 4 guests and a judge all by myself. I'll also be assisting in front of house work for the others in my class. We'll also be doing some kind of banquet breakfast as a class, no real details on that yet.

I'm still planning my luncheon menu, but definitely want to go with a BBQ/soul food theme. I'm thinking something in the brisket area for my entree, possibly accompanied by a small baked potato. I still need to come up with an appetizer and a soup. I'll keep y'all posted as the quarter progresses.

Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:36 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Captain90s wrote:
Today I began the Capstone and Extern/Intern classes. Extern is basically just me going to work as normal, but logging the hours and giving reports to the school (as well as reports from my supervisors). Capstone is the big one, the "final project" of my culinary education. I'll be planning, costing, ordering, preparing and serving a three course banquet luncheon to 4 guests and a judge all by myself. I'll also be assisting in front of house work for the others in my class. We'll also be doing some kind of banquet breakfast as a class, no real details on that yet.

I'm still planning my luncheon menu, but definitely want to go with a BBQ/soul food theme. I'm thinking something in the brisket area for my entree, possibly accompanied by a small baked potato. I still need to come up with an appetizer and a soup. I'll keep y'all posted as the quarter progresses.

Don't know if it would fit your theme, but they are tasty, and look cool......try making some Hasselback potatoes at home, and see if it would fit your theme. A lot of the same flavor profile, but multiple textures, less cooking time, and you can season it prior to serving, if you'd like. Good stuff :thumbsup2:

Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:52 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Cap, I hope you open your own restaurant someday. :cheers2:

Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
Cap, I hope you open your own restaurant someday. :cheers2:

So do I, my friend, so do I.

Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:48 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Today was my Capstone Luncheon. A three course luncheon made from beginning to end by me, including ordering, costing, and all of it.

First course, a tangy apple slaw served with pork belly.

Then a French Onion soup with crostini and gruyere cheese

The main course. Smoked beef brisket (though I had to finish it in the oven, I was only able to give it a 7 hour smoke , and then hold it overnight), potato croquette, sauteed okra with cashews. This came out amazingly.

This is the last kitchen part of my culinary education. I'll be helping with the benefit breakfast next week, and I'm not graduating just yet, but this was the last time I'll have to wear my white chef's uniform in class. Whew. It's been a lot of work, but a lot of fun.

Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:09 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 32  Next