Switch to full style
Let's talk about anything food- or drink-related, whether it be home cooking, bars or restaurants!
Post a reply

Re: what did you cook today thread

Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:19 pm

That looks delicious, Mark!

Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:52 pm

NWGunner wrote:Looks delicious, Mark!

How did you cook it?

I used the spice in the picture. I put some olive oil in a bowl, mixed a good amount of the spice into the olive oil, then coated all sides of the salmon and set that aside for a while. I cut the skin off, which I haven't done in years.

When I was ready to cook it, I poured olive oil into a pan, and preheated the oil on medium heat until it was about to the smoking stage. Then cooked the fish on both sides, turning the heat to low.

Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:54 pm

Great job! :thumbsup2:

Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:46 pm

I made some Chile Colorado tonight.

I was hungry. So I reheated some Mexican rice and chorizo I made yesterday and took some beef out early.

I continued to let it simmer. The flavors definitely matured and the beef is right now at its optimal softness. I wish I had enough to feed everyone.

Here is a picture of the premature dinner.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:41 pm

Nice, stompah!

I do a lot of that, what we call Buddha Bowls.

We always have brown rice & pickled red onions in the fridge.

I’ll roast a ton of different veggies, and 1 protein; then, on different nights, I’ll add 1 or 2 more items throughout the week.

That way, when we have people around, and they start saying, “I’m keto, I’m paleo, I’m on the Dash diet, I don’t eat this, I don’t eat that”, I just lay it out and say, “what you are, is on your own, you figure it out…” :bigsmile:

Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:38 am

Decided I needed to free up some space in the freezer..... time to make a BIG batch of broth! Damn.... I didn't realize I had THREE bags of neck, backbones and ribcages going --- that opens up a LOT of space!

20240401_114152.jpg

Its pretty much the equivalent of two whole 5+# chickens!
Starting out with the six (smoked) ribcages while the necks and backbones roast in the oven....
20240403_085456.jpg

And the necks and backbones after oven roasting....
20240403_102910.jpg

I think I'm gonna have to have two pots going - since I don't have a pot big enuff for all of it - and just combine them at the end.

I just leaned to that the cast iron roasts things REALLY well --- I had the stuff in the big pan in a cake pan to begin with and it barely had any color compared to the small CI pan - I decided to transfer to the big CI just to get some color to it. Its got me thinking some oven roasted thighs in the CI could be really good......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:33 am

Cast Iron is king! The older the Iron, the better. My prized Iron Chicken roaster, Vollrath #8 is a gem. Garage sales for vintage cast Iron, or Estate sales for great scores.

Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:57 pm

Damn, JMB. Show us how that stock turns out, that's awesome. I've made stock a handful of times, but I've never had the disciple to save up a big pile of bones like that.

Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:09 pm

How did you cook it?

I'm guessing - with heat? :bigsmile:

Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:13 pm

TechnoWeenie wrote:

How did you cook it?

I'm guessing - with heat? :bigsmile:

:ROFLMAO:

He answered pan-seared…wasn’t sure if he grilled, or pan-seared.

Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:25 am

MadPick wrote:Damn, JMB. Show us how that stock turns out, that's awesome. I've made stock a handful of times, but I've never had the disciple to save up a big pile of bones like that.

So - this morning I scraped the fat (as much as I could) off the top of the pan and brought it up to a simmer again and jarred up the broth hot so that it forms a vacd seal in the jars -- 3 ~1/3 jars of KILLER broth!

20240404_120920.jpg

Once the pan was empty, I added the fat back to it with some water and boiled it again -- no use getting another pan greasy... PRO TIP --- I guesstimated pretty closely how much water to add to fill the jar without overfilling --- poured into jar - sealed - inverted and into the fridge for a day or two to get the fat to solidify --- then I can just pour off the water and be left with some wonderful schmaltz!

Some would say that I 'could have' extracted more from all the meat and bones with more volume of water, but I'm more about having 'highly concentrated' broth over more volume --- without having to simmer it way down - I did simmer it down quite a bit already. All the bones/meat/cartilage then up to my neighbor to be cooked to death in the instapot for dog food - happy dogs!!!

Yeah - I'd say its worth the effort to save all the carcasses..... its pretty easy actually, especially if you spatch the chickens and flatten the ribcages. It helps to cut the backbones in 1/2 or 1/3s too to save space.

This broth is 100X better than anything that comes out of a box or can - watery tasteless crap that isn't worth a penny..... I don't use bullion, but I'm sure it blows it away too.

I will say that the pot with the neck and backbones made a beautiful thick broth that was light yellowish white --- while the pot with the smoked ribcages was understandably a darker brown color.... I had thoughts of keeping them separate, but that just seemed silly in the long run....

Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:43 pm

Looks great, JMB!

Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:38 pm

I forgot that I snapped a pic of this .... Thats what the pot looked like ...... Pretty sweet!

20240403_200931.jpg

It got a lot darker after I mixed the other batch in....
There was a layer of fat 1/8-3/16" across the top --- must save since I'm out of bacon grease.....
Thats a whole lot of chicken in a little bit of water! Thats what broth should look like.

Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:06 pm

MadPick wrote:Looks great, JMB!

indeed. I wonder what the difference is canning vrs plastic containers I put in the freezer?

stuffed peppers. meat, garlic, celery salt whos your sister sauce, rice and onion parm cheese all mixed then top with diced toms and more parm cheese on top

Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:36 pm

Baked a second loaf of our own brad per this recepie.
https://www.girlversusdough.com/no-knea ... ven-bread/
Note: we kept it covered in the oven for only 40 mins.
Post a reply