Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:50 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Knives 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought a fairly high end block of knife set from Henkles. The actual knives are forged and high quality, but the steak knives are stamped garbage. Anybody have a 6-8 knife combo steak Knife set reconmendations?
Trying to leahttps://www.amazon.com/Wusthof-Stain ... e4cdc8f10n under $100.

Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What's your budget?

Messermeisters are fine knives, but you'll pay forty or sixty bucks per (real) steak knife.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:27 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

golddigger14s wrote:

Errr wut?

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:29 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I was itching for something better recently, and I bought these: https://dalstrong.com/products/shadow-b ... knives-set.

They're pretty damned sharp, and they do a niiiiiice job of slicing my steak or pork chop, way better than the old serrated ones that we've been using. However, every time the blade hits my plate, I cringe a little. We'll see what my future holds in the way of sharpening, etc.

It does make me wonder if perhaps serrated is a good idea for steak knives, since only the tips of the serrations will hit the plate -- maybe most of the edge will stay sharper longer? *shrug*

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cut him some slack Steve, he's trying to lea(rn)

Maybe he'll learn to type full words and post working links in the process, too? :bigsmile:

Knives (and brand names) are funny things these days.

"J. A. Henckels AG is a German knife-maker based in Solingen, Germany. It is one of the largest and oldest manufacturers of kitchen knives for domestic and professional use, having been founded in June 1731 by Peter Henckels. It is also one of the oldest operating companies in the World. The brand's namesake was Johann Abraham Henckels (1771–1850), who renamed the brand after himself under his leadership. J. A. Henckels is one of the leading manufacturers of chef's knives. Since 1970, Zwilling is fully owned by Werhahn KG. The following brands belong to the Zwilling Group: ZWILLING, HENCKELS, Miyabi, BSF, Demeyere, Staub, Fontignac, Ballarini, Flammkraft, and Santos Grills. " -wiki

Chuck, you can find all sorts of guys running small knifeworks these days, too.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
Cut him some slack Steve, he's trying to lea(rn)

Maybe he'll learn to type full words and post working links in the process, too? :bigsmile:

Knives (and brand names) are funny things these days.

"J. A. Henckels AG is a German knife-maker based in Solingen, Germany. It is one of the largest and oldest manufacturers of kitchen knives for domestic and professional use, having been founded in June 1731 by Peter Henckels. It is also one of the oldest operating companies in the World. The brand's namesake was Johann Abraham Henckels (1771–1850), who renamed the brand after himself under his leadership. J. A. Henckels is one of the leading manufacturers of chef's knives. Since 1970, Zwilling is fully owned by Werhahn KG. The following brands belong to the Zwilling Group: ZWILLING, HENCKELS, Miyabi, BSF, Demeyere, Staub, Fontignac, Ballarini, Flammkraft, and Santos Grills. " -wiki

Chuck, you can find all sorts of guys running small knifeworks these days, too.

Thank you so much. I even lived in Germany for three years. But the knives you can get in Germany and the US are different. I'm just looking for some decent knives at a decent price.
Sorry, the link was jacked up. Not my fault.
(Just a warning my work may have me coming out to Olympia/Fort Lewis next year) :bigsmile: icon_eek

Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here’s Serious Eats’ take on the best steak knives.

These are pretty much on everyone’s ‘best’ lists, in varying order:

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-best-steak-knives

Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We don't carry steak knives at the store I work at but I can get the Victorinox Grand Maitre that's on that list. Pricing would better than what's online but above what you want to pay though

In the <$100 range and not chinesium look at these sets:
Portugal:
Victorinox Swiss Army Forschner 6-Piece 5" Steak Knife Set
Swiss:
VN679036 Victorinox Steak Knife Set 6pc
France:
Deejo Steak Knife Set

I can beat those prices but only because I'm getting ready to put an order in to a distributor that has better deals than ordering straight from the company. It's hit or miss what they have, usually discontinued knives and overruns

There are some great deals on Ontario knives right now too. These are made in the US:
Ontario Agilite 4-Piece Serrated Steak Knife Set
Ontario Robeson 4 Piece Viking Knives

I can't beat those prices. My wholesale on both of those is like $10 less than what they are selling them for. Ontario was sold last year and all the inventory got sold off dirt cheap

Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I met my wife she had some decent quality serrated steak knives. About 6-8 years ago she bought me some Wusthof non serrated steak knives.

Even when sharp I prefer the serrated knives that are now likely well over 2 decades old and have never been sharpened.

Studying for my Liberal Arts degree at Evergreen College.

YouTube taught me, just like everybody else.

Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]