Let's talk about anything food- or drink-related, whether it be home cooking, bars or restaurants!
Post a reply

Re: Grocery Store Deals of the Week

Mon May 06, 2024 5:59 pm

^ Oh, nice deal.

You know, between Chef'Store and the holiday rib roast sale at Fred Meyer, I eat a lot of select grade ribeyes. I don't doubt that they aren't as good as Choice or Prime . . . but man, they are still damned good, no complaints from me!

If you're eating a thick ribeye for $5/lb, you're doing well. thumbsup

Mon May 06, 2024 8:15 pm

I’m starting to think these big cuts, even in the lower grades, are strangely overlooked and underpriced. Most lean (90%) ground beef I’m seeing is around $5 per lb.

I was thinking about getting a meat grinder to grind up the $4 Costco brisket into ground beef. Have you tried grinding any of these big cuts to make your own ground? I’d assume it’s a heck of a lot cleaner than what normally goes into store bought ground.

Mon May 06, 2024 8:22 pm

I've ground up a brisket before, and eaten it as ground beef.

Yes, it was good. I don't think it's cheaper though, and honestly I can't say that I can really taste a difference.

A brisket is generally thought to be about 30% fat, so you want to compare the meat to the cheapest ground beef at the grocery store. Yes, you could trim off much of the fat to make a leaner cut, but then it's just going to cost you more per pound. If you really want lean ground beef (and you generally shouldn't, haha), buy an eye of round for $4.xx/lb.

Wed May 08, 2024 12:55 pm

Safeway 05/08-05/14

Asparagus (and others) $1.50/lb

2024-05-08_135424.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Post a reply