Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:21 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 2122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140 ... 142  Next
 Smoker thread? Smoker thread. 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I usually do 225 for 10-12 hrs pending weight, once the bark is set is when I wrap it for an hr and crank it 300. pull it off and let it sit for half hr. don't forget the most fat side up. I don't use a thermo, I some what poke it with my finger or fork.

some times every hr I'll spritz apple juice during main cook

Times I'll coat my pork mustard and the rub it puts a twist to it

Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:27 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

cmica wrote:
don't forget the most fat side up.

Just be careful if you're using a pellet smoker. The heat comes straight up from the burn pot at the bottom, so especially if your meat is on the lower rack you can burn the bottom at the higher temps.

At higher temps on a pellet smoker, you can sometimes do better with fat side down, since the fat can protect the meat from the higher heat.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:32 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

So much to learn. So very much to learn.

Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You need to add a Webber Kettle to your smoker arsenal. Pellet grills are easy, but if you really want to get into it and learn you need to smoke with fire. Offset smoking with Charcoal and wood is where you really learn.

Pellet grills are the microwave of smoking and I love mine, but you can really lay the wood smoke on with an Offset stick burner or Charcoal. Steve is giving you good advice for the Pellet grills, but you need the old school 3 bottom vent large Weber kettle and you will learn much.

They are the cheapest too, don't buy the ash catcher can one, you want the old school cheap 3 vent one. Offset smoking with one of those will give you results the pellet "microwave" can't, but it requires more attention for temps and management.

That's a lazy Spring or Summer Day sitting on the deck and monitoring it while it's running. Nothing better than that watching the kids play in the yard or petting the dog and tending the fire.

Thin blue smoke, a happy family and good BBQ, that's what you are shooting for Mike. I don't BBQ or smoke for me, it's all about the family.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sinus211 wrote:
So much to learn. So very much to learn.

very true mike, if you got a pressure cooker, pop it in there 2 teaspoons smoke sauce coat it with sea salt, and 3 cups water pressure cook 90 mins, mean while cook 2 cups rice once meat is done take it out and throw in thin sliced cabbage for 7min. then take your butt and shred it. once cabbage is done mix all together and you got a kalua pig :thumbsup2: :hangloose:

Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:48 pm

Sinus211 wrote:
What temp do you wrap for pulled pork?

As you are learning, there really isn't a magic temp to wrap at --- if you had a probe and were monitoring it thru the cook you would have seen (guessing dependent on size and grate temps) that the temp would have slowly climbed up to ~150-160ish in about 5-6 +/- hours and just locked in there --- the stall - and it just sits there for hours (depending on pit temp) while it sweats out moisture. Trying to pick a 'temp' to wrap at is wrong --- I would say the the 'right temp' is the stall temp to retain as much moisture, but there is a really BIG window of where it will sit at that temp so I go more by time --- anything past 6 hours is fine (for me) depending on how much smoke (wood chunks) I've thrown at it and what I am after - as long as I'm happy with how much bark has developed. I will say that I don't get that 'meteor bark' that I always see - that kinda bums me out - but its still a helluva bark that is more than tasty good and satisfying. I could probably get it to that point if I finished on the smoker and went lighter on the spritzing, but after 7-8 hours of tending and spritzing (to keep the surface from drying out too much), its time to just 'get er done' in time to deal with it before you go to bed.... It usually ends up being an all day cook for me with no hope of being ready for dinner.... unless you are going to eat at 9:30-10pm.

By all means use that smoke tube too --- I refrained from commenting on apple or cherry when you asked since I'm not a (true) pellet guy and not knowing what your mix was in the hopper, but you can never go wrong with more apple or cherry.... well, you'd have to try REALLY hard. I have yet to find the limit for 'too much smoke' on a butt - the last ones for 10 hours I thought was a silly amount, but they could have had more. The only time I was close to it was when I used too much hickory (chunks + lots of chips) early on and didn't have any other flavors to cut it with --- that hickory flavor got old after a while, but I don't think it was 'too much'.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sinus211 wrote:
stompah wrote:
JohnMBrowning wrote:
I'm not sure what the fascination is with 'finishing' the butts on the smoker is..... I give my butts 6-8 hours on the smoker @225-275 (where ever it wants to run --- coals baby!) and then wrap them in foil and finish them in the oven @250 til 205 IT. I'm not sure why people make it so much harder and longer than that..... plenty of bark, never a need for probing and never dries out. The last ones I did I did take out to ~10 hours just because I wanted to impress my neighbor, but I don't think the extra time made all that much difference..... Spritzing with cherry coke was the key for those two!
But...... to each their own.

I should ad too --- ThermaPen One on sale for $80 with Mad Scientist BBQ link. Best price I have seen, but still way more expensive than a Lightning.
https://www.thermoworks.com/thermapen-o ... t-bbq-dod/

For me its summer time finish in smoker to keep heat out of the house. Winter finish in oven to burn less pellets to maintain the heat.

There are no hard and fast rules for me. But I do agree, once it's wrapped the meat is no longer absorbing smoke, the meat doesn't care where it is finished.

For me it was the flavor. That shoulder had deep deep smoke. You guys are probably right about wrapping and oven finish. This roast wasn’t ever wrapped. It went in the pan with dr.pepper base at 170 but I never covered it.

Drier, yes. But undoubtedly the best tasting pulled pork sandwich I’ve ever had due to how strong the flavor on the bark and deep the smoke was.

It definitely would have been more moist with a wrap. What temp do you wrap for pulled pork?

I wrap or cover at 165 IT and turn my smoke down to setting 1 and temp to 250-265 depending on the wind.

Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:00 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

I love smoking because:

This is $14 worth of pepperoni ends and bits and a whole chicken

$6 of pellets and rub later this is multiple delicious entrees for my family and a whole lot of snacking on pepperoni.

I normally don’t care for pepperoni due to all the unrendered white fat mixed in. Smoking at 250 for an hour renders the fat and makes it enjoyable to me.

This is value and flavor and without a doubt the best way I’ve ever had chicken. I brine for 4 hours, spatchcock and heavily season then cook at 250 until 150 internal. Then I crank the smoker to 450 until 168 internal to crisp the skin then rest for 20 minutes uncovered before slicing. How do your guys do chicken?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:22 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Looks great, Mike!

I'm no JMB, but my thought on the chicken is that you're cooking it to too high of a temp. If you're pulling it at 168, it's probably up in the 170s during the rest. I'd be targeting more like 155 internal, then pull it. That will easily meet all USDA standards, and you'll have a moister bird.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:52 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

MadPick wrote:
Looks great, Mike!

I'm no JMB, but my thought on the chicken is that you're cooking it to too high of a temp. If you're pulling it at 168, it's probably up in the 170s during the rest. I'd be targeting more like 155 internal, then pull it. That will easily meet all USDA standards, and you'll have a moister bird.

I’m with you man. I would pull at a lower temp but I’m already stretched on convincing my wife that the pink in the lower breast and dark meat is from the smoke, not the low temps.

Any more pink and she’s going to pull the plug even though she loves the taste and incredibly the kids are eating it well too.

The Costco packaging says to cook to 185 internal icon_eek

Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:09 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sinus211 wrote:

There's nothing wrong with getting the dark meat to 185, I think that's a great target.

But white meat . . . oh hell no.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is one damn fine looking Chicken Mike, well done. I don't know shit about Chicken beyond thighs on the Blackstone, but I pull them at 165 and they are moist and well cooked.
Wife and kids love it? You are doing a great job with the smoker. :thumbsup2:

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:16 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

MadPick wrote:
Sinus211 wrote:

There's nothing wrong with getting the dark meat to 185, I think that's a great target.

But white meat . . . oh hell no.

Interesting point, I haven’t ever put a probe in the dark meat. I just assumed it would play nice?

usrifle wrote:
That is one damn fine looking Chicken Mike, well done. I don't know shit about Chicken beyond thighs on the Blackstone, but I pull them at 165 and they are moist and well cooked.
Wife and kids love it? You are doing a great job with the smoker. :thumbsup2:

Thanks brother! If the kids are eating it I’m generally happy. It’s like having a 3 and 6 year old Karen at your table every night that only thinks mac’n’cheese and hot dogs are good food. :facepalm2:

Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:24 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Sorry fellas the site is giving me fits tonight. Hopefully that all made sense as editing feels like too much of a task for a Thursday night right now.

Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sinus211 wrote:
Sorry fellas the site is giving me fits tonight. Hopefully that all made sense as editing feels like too much of a task for a Thursday night right now.

It all made perfect sense Mike, no worries. :thumbsup2:

I totally get the kid thing, (it's been a minute since mine were that young though icon_eek ) I went through the picky kid stage back then too.. Anytime the Wife and kids are happy with the cook?

You Won! Well done my friend. :bow:

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Last edited by usrifle on Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140 ... 142  Next