Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:38 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Advance notice needed for incoming transfers. 

We need advance notice of incoming firearms transfer so that we don't get random guns with no other information coming in... it has happened. Even when there is a name and number it causes a hiccup in out system and slows the overall process down. 15 minutes here, 10 there, another 20 playing phone tag, it all adds up and slows things down for everyone.

It also allows us to explain the whole state Use Tax thing so there are no surprises.
And we can ask the recipient to be patient, and not come in as soon as they get a shipment notice from FEDEX or UPS. Sometimes we have a lot of guns to book in, or customers, or are short handed. We might not be able to get to any shipments for a couple hours, or it might be in the last box that's opened. Usually it will just be a few hours, but once or twice it's not been until the next morning.

We want things to be as smooth and painless as possible for everyone and have a system in place to help that.

To be as cheesy and cliche'd` as I can, "help us to help you." :bigsmile:

If you're not in the area, or not close give us a call or email (sales@i5guns.com) and let us know. We mostly just want to know what is coming in and from who. And it's nice to be able to contact the sender if you're buying a gun from a private individual so we can make sure to ask for their license/ID. We can't release it to you if we can't book it in and we can't book it in without their information.

Last edited by Unicorn on Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:42 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Could you charge for "Priority Service" for those who want to pay for you to "drop everything and find their stuff"?

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:17 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why would someone order and have a gun transferred to you without bothering to contact you?

That just seems profoundly stupid.

'The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing.'

Adolf Hitler

Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

wklink wrote:
Why would someone order and have a gun transferred to you without bothering to contact you?

That just seems profoundly stupid.

I've heard incredible stories of stupidity when I've been in there transferring guns. You'd be amazed. I swear I get my $20 worth just by hearing some of them.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always call or email my local FFL before I ship a gun to them. It is just common sense. Maybe they're too busy, maybe they went out of business, maybe something else changed....

Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:11 am

It's happened to me a couple times. Here and at my previous employer. A gun shows up with no information with it. The only thing we have is the return address on the box. After a week or so a person comes in asking about their gun. Once at the place I used to work at, it was an angry person who came in demanding to know why we had hi gun for so long without letting him know. My only words were, "who are you?"

Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:28 pm

Wait people really dont ask first? or at least give you a heads up, so you could oh I dont know call them when it comes in?

Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dagamore wrote:
Wait people really dont ask first? or at least give you a heads up, so you could oh I dont know call them when it comes in?

budsgunshop has a list of accepted FFL's that do not require advance warning... it's on their preferred FFL list...

a lot of FFL's actually do not require advance notice... it's up to each FFL to set their rules.

I use Brad for transfer and a simple txt to him is usually sufficient although usually not necessary...

while I respect I5's rules and their right to make their own policy, the reason most people don't know about it is because it's not the norm or standard in the area... even cabela's does not require a heads up before a rifle is accepted... does it help, probably but you won't get charged 100$ for the oversight...

2 shops out of many is a small number (surplus ammo has the same rules)
I still remember surplus ammo charged something like 75 or 100$ for unannounced transfers... and required an in person form with so many regs I decided not to use them when there are other choices. most other FFL's that accept transfers do not require advance notice but may charge a 50$ or more fee.

I'm actually surprised many people find this requirement for an in person pre transfer form acceptable... I've heard the explanations but if others don't find it a problem, I don't see how a small store makes it into a big issue (other than the fact that it justifies a nice penalty fee)

Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:16 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

XDM9cWA wrote:
I'm actually surprised many people find this requirement for an in person pre transfer form acceptable...

Well . . . most of the discussion in this thread has been simply about letting the FFL know that it's coming, not the form that some require.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
XDM9cWA wrote:
I'm actually surprised many people find this requirement for an in person pre transfer form acceptable...

Well . . . most of the discussion in this thread has been simply about letting the FFL know that it's coming, not the form that some require.

sorry if I am mistaken on the form... it was a requirement in the past... and still is in the other FFL in Tacoma last I was there..

still the bottom line is only 2 out of over a dozen FFL's in the area have a 100$ penalty for "unannounced transfers" which is a store's right to enforce, but is far from a common policy elsewhere...

In case others did not know.. it's on their website, you pay 100$ penalty for not reaching out prior to the transfer being initiated.

Chester probably can clarify if that form is still required vs a simple call/email or txt and if the unannounced fee is triggered if the the shipment is already en route before they are informed or if it is waived if the announcement is made anytime prior to the item arriving. (last I remember form had to be signed before the shipment even left the shipper or it was un-announced and 100$ more)

Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:52 pm

We have a system that allows us to get it to you for only $25 instead of the $50 or $75 or whatever other places charge.

Random guns show up and it slows the process down and requires more work for us. When the shipper doesn't include a legible copy of their license we are now unable to put all the required information into our acquisition/disposition book. Let me rephrase that, we have no way to verify that information as we only have the return address. If that even has the person's name. We have to snail mail a letter to the sender asking for their license.

If you do have something sent without the courtesy of a heads up, don't get pissed when we have no way to reach you because the shipper didn't bother to say who it was for. Cuss me out three weeks later because I never called you... since I had no idea who the gun was for or how to reach you and I'll show you the door and send the gun back.

It's an agreement between the store and Bud's to get put on their preferred dealer list. Others that Bud's lists, but not on the preferred dealer list may or may not require advance notice. It even says this on Bud's page.

If you want us to put up with this, well... do you understand why other places charge twice what we do? Actual stores with overhead, not a kitchen table dealer open by appointment only.

Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

could you clarify if the form is still needed and the information heads up done before shipment leaves or can it be done anytime before arrival

Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:17 pm

XDM9cWA wrote:
most other FFL's that accept transfers do not require advance notice but may charge a 50$ or more fee.

Um.... :wink05:

Last edited by Unicorn on Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:21 pm

XDM9cWA wrote:
could you clarify if the form is still needed and the information heads up done before shipment leaves or can it be done anytime before arrival

I was working on that! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Email the information we need. Who you are, where the gun in coming from, contact information for them (not every dealer has our license, and not every person will send a gun without knowing it's going to a real dealer), and that you acknowledge you are required to pay the use tax if it's from a dealer it's fine. sales@i5guns.com.

The places or people that don't have our license need it to send it to us so we will still need to know where to send those. We still need to make sure we don't have a gun sent in shrink wrap and nothing else in the box.
It does happen that we get guns with no information. I don't want to store your gun for weeks because I can't call you to tell you it's here because I have no idea who it's for. Or because they might have put your name, but no phone number and if you haven't bought from us (or changed your number) I can't let you know.

YES, this has happened to me. Multiple times.

Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unicorn wrote:
XDM9cWA wrote:
most other FFL's that accept transfers do not require advance notice but may charge a 50$ or more fee.

Um.... :wink05:

to be clear there's a lot that charge 25$ and don't require notice, but i give credit where is due. .. some do charge more

Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next